Need food recommendations (complicated case)

MissCi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I currently have a 15 year old asthmatic hyperthyroid cat with allergies. The vet "suspects" that she a food allergy; likely to chicken as it has been her main source of protein over the years.
I want to avoid food with high Phosphorus levels as the vet also thinks she is beginning to show early signs of kidney disease. She is due to have more blood work this Thursday to check both her Thyroid and Kidney levels now that she's been on Methimazole for a few months.

So...

I'm looking for a completely chicken free (and fish free re: thyroid) canned food with low to moderate levels of Phosphorus. I recently tried Ziwi Peak Venison but she doesn't seem too crazy about it. I was looking at Koha and Rawz but I think the phosphorus levels might be too high for her??

She eats both canned and dry so I am also looking for a kibble formula as well. I know wet food is much better for cats (especially older cats with potential kidney problems) but she generally prefers dry food and I want to maintain her weight.

I'm glad I found this forum. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a site where you can check the phosphorus level is most foods, but not all. Since this information is not usually listed on the cans, you can try looking at the mfr website for the info, and if it's not there, which is typically isn't, you may then need to contact the mfr direct.

Just scroll down the page a little bit and you will see US Food Data - Canned Food and right below that US Food Data - Dry Foods, click on those links and the charts should open with the foods listed in order of the LEAST amount of phosphorus in them. You may already be aware that you cannot go by the name of the food alone with thinking of the ingredients. For instance, something that says Turkey and Giblets may also include Chicken Broth. And MANY foods that don't include fish in the type of food DO contain a little fish. So be sure to read the ingredient list on the cans. The lists on the chart do not include ingredients.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Cat Food Data Tables Overview

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissCi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

MissCi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a site where you can check the phosphorus level is most foods, but not all. Since this information is not usually listed on the cans, you can try looking at the mfr website for the info, and if it's not there, which is typically isn't, you may then need to contact the mfr direct.

Just scroll down the page a little bit and you will see US Food Data - Canned Food and right below that US Food Data - Dry Foods, click on those links and the charts should open with the foods listed in order of the LEAST amount of phosphorus in them. You may already be aware that you cannot go by the name of the food alone with thinking of the ingredients. For instance, something that says Turkey and Giblets may also include Chicken Broth. And MANY foods that don't include fish in the type of food DO contain a little fish. So be sure to read the ingredient list on the cans. The lists on the chart do not include ingredients.

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Cat Food Data Tables Overview
This is wonderful!

And ugh... tell me about it. Just when I think I have found the right food, I look further down the ingredient list and find some form of chicken or fish. Or if I don't find that....the Phosphorus levels are way too high. It has definitely been frustrating.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. And for the very informative link! :)

MissCi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fabulous! Thank You!