Need Feral Advice

metrov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My wife and I adopted a beautiful feral tabby when she was about eight weeks old. We were told she was captured in the wild, but don't have too many other details. She is now about (7) months. She is a real lover. As advised by the foster home, we kept her in one room of the house for about six weeks until she became accustomed to us. She's progressing fine and is almost a normal kitty. Now she has the run of the house, plus she gets to go outside (under supervision) regularly. She doesn't try to run off or anything, in fact, she always keeps the door to the house (her escape route) in the corner of her eye, while she wanders and hunts. The only thing that's a little distressing, particularly for my wife, is that you can't stand over her, stoop down, and pick her up. She darts away at the slightest gesture to do so. However, when she's napping, if you approach quietly and gently, you can pick her up without any protest or escape attempts at all! Also when in bed (i.e. not standing), or sitting on the couch, she will sit on your lap, or snuggle next to you, no worries. She loves to be petted, and is a LOUD PURRING MACHINE.

Does anyone have any tips for making her more comfortable about being picked up? My wife has a stressful job, and part of kitty's duty is to provide what we jokingly call "therapy," meaning cuddling. I always whistle when I feed her, so she's learned to come when I whistle if she's outside. When whistling in the kitchen, she comes running up wanting her food, and follows closely to the feeding area. During this time, she sometimes allows us to bend over pet her and even pick her up, but that's as good as it gets. Thanks for the help!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a little former feral who absolutely positively loves laps and cuddles. I can't even sit down without her wanting on my lap, laying on or next to me, or pawing at my leg for me to scoot back from the table enough to allow her up. She follows me around the house and gets upset at me if I go outside without her. Despite this, she hates being picked up. Any attempt ends with her crying and pouting for hours. The more I tried, the more skittish she got so I stopped trying. When I have to pick her up for vet visits I manage but otherwise I leave her little paws on the ground.

Honestly, I'd accept your cat as she is. With time she may get better but picking up is a huge learned behavior that she may never learn. Accept her limitations and love her in the way that makes her comfortable.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww! She's very cute! The cat's not bad looking either. :paperbag:

I adopted two ferals last year. The one who was easier to socialize still gets spooked if I bend over her and the wild one doesn't seem to mind being bent over and picked up now. Kind of backwards. :rolleyes:

With both of them, I squatted down so my thighs were parallel to the floor and let the cat come to me, then lifted quickly onto my lap and let go so they had freedom to run. (Make sure their feet are under them so they don't lose balance before letting go.) They didn't have far to jump and learned that being lifted did not mean being restrained or trapped. I think ferals are most fearful of losing their freedom to move around, so you need to build that trust. Once trust is established, they can be picked up more often and held for a longer time without being fearful. Whatever fears remain in their minds makes some kitties easier and some harder to get that trust.

I'm not sure my Farrell will ever get completely over getting spooked about me bending over her...she'll always come right to me if I squat down though, or if she's on something high like the bed or back of a chair and not on the ground.

Bless you and your wife for adopting a feral! Building trust with them is a very rewarding experience. Sounds like you're all doing really great together so far! :purr:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of cats, both socialized ferals and fully domesticated cats, dislike being picked up. None of my cats enjoy the experience. I had a Siamese cat who enjoyed being picked up and held and danced around, but he was the exception to the rule. Enjoy the affection that your Kitty gives you. If you can cuddle and pet her, enjoy and appreciate that experience. Accept the possibility that she may never enjoy being picked up. When I think about it it, imagine how anxiety-producing it would be for a creature ten times your size to lift you off your feet and hold you high in the air. You've accomplished a great deal in how you have already socialized your formerly feral cat! I would advise that if it's really that important for you to be able to pick up a cat, that you adopt a young, domestic kitten from a shelter, about 8-10 weeks old. At that age, they are content to be picked up and sit on a person's shoulder. A kitten would also be good companionship for your feral.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The first time I picked up my big wild feral I felt him tense up and start to freak but before he had a chance he was back on the ground. I just moved him to a different food dish. So it was an "adjusting" more than anything else. He was getting upset because the vacant dish was occupied so I just lifted him to a vacant one. That made him happy. next time he barely tensed. When I pick him up it's almost always for his advantage like putting a blanket down where he was sitting so its warmer. Because of that he has no problem with being picked up anymore. I have even carried him a little ways through the snow and he appears to like the idea. You walk, i will ride. But it does take time and does depend on the cat. But short little lifts that drop them in front of the food dish is a good way to start.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't think any of my cats ever liked being picked up. Even my lap cats, they loved to run and jump into my lap for cuddles, but they didn't like me picking them up. Can you just sit on the couch and pat your lap and ask your cat to come over? That usually worked for my lap cats. You said she likes to cuddle. That's a wonderful thing considering she was a feral.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metrov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I never received any emails that my post received a response. So I decided to check in, and happily discovered everyone's very helpful comments! Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes, I think we're on the right track and Athena is progressing beautifully!. Cheers