Need Expert Advice On Stray Cat. Please Read If You Have Time! Thank You

Cashkid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

So recently my family moved into basement (currently renting till our new house is built), and a stray male kitten estimated probably 7-12 months started showing up in our backyard. My parents bought cat food because it seemed malnourished, was very skinny. Over time the kitten and come adopted to us, especially me as I go pet him and feed him everyday.

The cat is super friendly, and non aggressive at all. Hes actually quite timid, and will run away if my parents walk too fast towards him. However he has adopted to us, and has formed an attachment to us. He even sleeps on our porch.

Hes visually pretty healthy, clean fur, no skin problems that we can visually see. Hes not neutered and has no collar. Almost 100% sure hes stray, but hes so friendly its hard to believe its a stray. We let him inside the house but hes scared to explore unless everyone else in the house is gone besides me and my sisters.

The main issue here is, we'd like to get him checked out, however he can be extremely timid, and seems accustomed to a small environment. We feel like if we try to cage him he we get scared and will start to panic. Hes used to us cause his scent is on us. But if hes near someone hes never met before, he panics and runs away.

Another issue is that when we move, we don't want him to come to our backyard porch and expect us to be there to feed him and take of him. Of course we'd like to take him with us, but like I mentioned above its hard cause of his nature. Also, we do not to remove him from an environment hes used to.

What do I do in this situation? Hes become attached, but is super timid of new things so, and will definitely panic if we try to cage and take him to vet. We are moving soon and we don't want to just leave him when hes already so attached to us.

**Also just to mention, we've never had pets as a Family, but my parents have had pet cats when they were kids back in Fiji.

Thanks for reading, any advice helps.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

Your best bet would be to rent a humane trap, and start feeding him in there (rigging the trap so it will stay open). You may have to do this in stages, gradually inching the food towards the back of the trap; very few cats will walk all the way in to eat at first. Once he is comfortable with walking in there to eat, set the trap up to catch him. Sure, he'll likely freak out a bit, but it's the best and safest way to catch a stray or feral so you can start the taming process.

As you can pet him, another option would be to have a cat carrier ready and open, distract him with some extra yummy treat, and quickly but calmly pick him up and place him in the carrier. It can be helpful to have a second person nearby, to help with getting the carrier shut as quickly and smoothly as possible. I used this technique to catch my semi feral girl, and also when I have to take the semi feral barn cat I care for to the vet. So long as you pick a quiet, calm moment and move with confidence, it works very well. The trick is not to give the cat time to think about it ;)

Of course, he'll likely freak out a little at being caged, but you'll have plenty of time to restore any lost trust...if indeed he looses trust in the first place. My girl didn't, and I'd only met her a couple of times before I caught her.

Pick a day in advance for the trapping, and speak to a local vet about bringing him in. My vets are very accommodating, and I was able to take my girl straight from the farm to the vet, and drop her off to be assessed, chipped, vaccinated, and treated for injuries, fleas and worms. Your boy sounds like he's much healthier than my girl was, so you should also get him neutered in that vet visit (which is normal practice with strays and ferals - my girl just wasn't well enough to have the surgery). This will likely be an overnight stay, but it really is the best approach. Try to find a vet that is used to working with feral and stray cats, as that experience can make a huge difference.

Thank you for caring for this boy. He's so lucky to have found you :heartshape:
Adopting A Stray Cat
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release) (The trapping part of this article may be helpful ;) ).
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home