Need birthday gift ideas for a man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Help!!  My Dad's birthday is in a few weeks and he can be so hard to shop for sometimes!  My Mom's birthday is also coming up and she is so easy it's hard to not go overboard.  

So far all I've come up with is a political T-shirt off Cafe Press for Dad.  I'd like to keep his gift in the $20-$30 range.  He lives out of state so I have to ship it to him regardless of where it can be purchased from.

Dad loves NASCAR (

) and smaller circuit racing (he used to race when he was younger, still has his cars), politics (VERY opinionated), snowmobiling, hunting (not as much as he used to), BBQing, hot/spicy food.  He doesn't have any pets anymore.  He has a girlfriend but I haven't met her yet and its a bit of a long distance relationship.  Oh and he likes coffee and beer. lol

In the past I've done fleece pull-over shirts, Omaha Steaks, a travel mug with DD's pictures on it, a spatula for the grill with his favorite NASCAR driver's number on the flipper part.  The end of the handle doubles as a beer bottle opener.  Apparently the spatula was a huge hit with his friends because he had to call me for 2 of them because they needed to know where I got it.  
  I've done gift cards before too; just not sure where I should try this time if I go that route.

So I don't know what else to do!  Any ideas? 
  I think he would like the shirt I found (checked with my cousin too) but that just seems like an odd gift and on the cheap side; though the shirt is not really cheap.  Dad is generous when it comes to our birthdays and especially with the kids.  He doesn't expect nice gifts or anything; I just want to use the opportunity to give something nice back to him.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a friend who loves t-shirts with a message.  I often design them for him on Zazzle..   If you can find a snappy or clever comment that your dad would appreciate, add whatever graphic suits, you will have something really unique.   For example, after there were live export horrors happening with Australian livestock overseas, I did one with a row of cows and the message:  There is no excuse for animal abuse

There are masses of options and your Dad gets something you've done especially for him.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is hard to pick a gift for a father. Maybe a nice shirt and dinner out ?

dejolane

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
One thing that the guys in my family like and do for each other is buy specialty beers - they find themed, microbrews that match the person. For instance my DH is a big fantasy reader and has and MA in english, my brother bought him a pack of beers named after characters in classic folkore. They all love trying new beers, so it's a big hit.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He lives out of state, why not do a birthday video for him.  Or do a scrap book with lots of pictures of your family.

Hmm....  If I order it as a photo book I could probably do that.  Time is a factor.  I have 2 really awesome scrapbook "kits" for my kid's baby books and neither are completed. But I've done photo books before and they came out nice.  Thats a good idea to consider!  Especially since Dad is "facebook challenged" so I always have to e-mail him a link to pictures of the kids. 

I have a friend who loves t-shirts with a message.  I often design them for him on Zazzle..   If you can find a snappy or clever comment that your dad would appreciate, add whatever graphic suits, you will have something really unique.   For example, after there were live export horrors happening with Australian livestock overseas, I did one with a row of cows and the message:  There is no excuse for animal abuse

There are masses of options and your Dad gets something you've done especially for him.
I'll check out that site!  
Oh that's a tough one! I always have a tougher time choosing for males than females.

My first thought was different grilling sauces, like this:

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/shop/speciality-foods/grille-sauces-marinades/190761.html

I'll keep thinking.
I think he would enjoy something like that.  (So would I...those look yummy! lol)
One thing that the guys in my family like and do for each other is buy specialty beers - they find themed, microbrews that match the person. For instance my DH is a big fantasy reader and has and MA in english, my brother bought him a pack of beers named after characters in classic folkore. They all love trying new beers, so it's a big hit.
You know that's another good idea. We have a local brewery down here that I've never been to (I don't drink beer) but my Dad has been there when he came to visit and he enjoyed it.  I've even heard friends from other states talking about their beer; but being down here I should have access to their lines that aren't shipped out of state.  My cousin's husband likes their beer so much he will take a detour on his business trips to stop there overnight. 
  I just don't know if there are shipping restrictions.  I'll have to look into that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the older my parents are the harder it gets to buy them anything, they already have it, or they don't want it! The best thing I've found to give them, and they always rave about them, is certificates to restaurants in their town. They LOVE to go out to eat. I also send them 'care packages' a box full of wonderful snacks, candies, cheeses, etc. They love things like 'home made' cinnamon/raisin bread from the bakery too, it's something my dad loves but is "too expensive" for them to buy. I've also paid for a years subscription for their newspaper, (or a 1/2 year if it's expensive), or gotten gift certificates to their barber or beautician. I guess the most important thing is to know what they love, or love to do. If he loves to watch NASCAR you might pay into his cable or satellite TV company, and send him snacks (like everything to make nachos) for watching TV. I know a lot of my ideas are a little expensive (like more for Christmas) but you can adjust them to fit.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought the hubby a self-storing stainless-steel BBQ kit once...it came in a nice case with all his tools and squewers, and went over so well that for the entire season her refused to BBQ without his set of tools. I believe it was about 30bucks at Canadian Tire...

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No matter what you decide, maybe you and DD could make him cookies or something and send them along too?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure he'd enjoy that.  Especially with all the chocolate chip cookie talk going on in the oleo thread! lol

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh those chocolate chip cookies posts are making me crazy, Mooch!

To add to the grilling theme, Penzey has a very set of bbq-type seasonings in a nice box. I got them for our son one time for Christmas and he loved using the different spices.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Me too!  I'm sitting here eating a bowl of half frozen berries with some chocolate chips sprinkled on to make it "decadent."  Hopefully that will get it out of my system! 

I think my Mom orders from Penzeys.  I'll have to look it up online.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Me too!  I'm sitting here eating a bowl of half frozen berries with some chocolate chips sprinkled on to make it "decadent."  Hopefully that will get it out of my system! 
Berries with chocolate chips????? Mooch, Mooch, Mooch, you're killing me here!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love gift cards. Also,; they can be mailed in the birthday card. How about one to a home supply store, Wal Mart, or a local restaurant. Or, if the likes to fish or hunt, a Bass Pro certificate. Or, if he likes to read a certificate to a local book store where he can buy what he wants. I just feel like you can never go wrong. There are also gift certificates available to buy gas or groceries, or even blank ones that you can put an amount of money on.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Berries with chocolate chips????? Mooch, Mooch, Mooch, you're killing me here!
Mmmhmmm...  I partially defrost frozen cherries, raspberries and blackberries and then sprinkle on some chocolate chips.  I figure it's got to be healthier than say cookies or other junk food! 

I love gift cards. Also,; they can be mailed in the birthday card. How about one to a home supply store, Wal Mart, or a local restaurant. Or, if the likes to fish or hunt, a Bass Pro certificate. Or, if he likes to read a certificate to a local book store where he can buy what he wants. I just feel like you can never go wrong. There are also gift certificates available to buy gas or groceries, or even blank ones that you can put an amount of money on.
I think if all else fails I'll look for one of those generic cards from the credit card companies.  I think those are available at Walmart.  Picking out a store for him is hard.  They don't have many chain restaurants in the area (lucky; their food is fantastic...) and I'm not that familiar with what other shopping is available; things have changed so much in his area.  I think there is one sporting goods store.  I may have gotten a gift card for him for that place before. Sad that I don't remember!  I'll have to look online!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband had gotten a gift card from my daughter to a hunting store that also had shirts,fishing gear and such and he got alot for 50.00.

dejolane

Status
Not open for further replies.