Need Advise About A Kitten And His Claw Habits With My Leg :(

Loverofcats1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens both inside, one is a female tabby named Ginny and the other I think he is a Bombay called Harry. They haven't been fixed yet as I wanted to wait till they were around 4 month's old. I have been watching them and Harry tends to pounce on Ginny while she is sleeping or just relaxing, And I will watch them and it doesn't take much before her ears are flat and she is growling at him and on her back. She doesn't hiss at him she just lays there trying to bite back at him until finally, she will try to get away and run with him trailing right behind her. I'm hoping that when he is neutered he will stop that somewhat because I don't want him to torment her and see her as an easy target.

I play with them every day and even during our play sessions when I have Harry panting and tired he will spot Ginny and starts the fit. Is this normal kitten play or is it leading to something else?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal kitten play. He sounds dominant. Make sure to play with them separately as well, so they both feel confident.

How old are they now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Loverofcats1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's normal kitten play. He sounds dominant. Make sure to play with them separately as well, so they both feel confident.
How old are they now?
2 month's going on 3 and the female isn't much of a player it seems like she prefers just relaxing but then when I do play with her the male tries to steal the play from her or pounces on her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 month's going on 3 and the female isn't much of a player it seems like she prefers just relaxing but then when I do play with her the male tries to steal the play from her or pounces on her.
Right, that's why I think it's important to play with her separately. Maybe while the male is in a separate room.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with TalkingPeanut. Its normal, but he does overdo, a little too dominant, so you must help her some.

I want to mention, this laying on the back while he is attacking is really a standard defensive position, and its even a quite strong one. So THIS is no proof she is the desperate "underdog".

But your other observations hits she is needing some help yes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Loverofcats1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I have (2) three-month-old kittens, 1 male black Bombay or I suspect he is a Bombay, and 1 female black & gray tabby shorthair. They are not siblings they were both found as kittens and I adopted them from a lady who rescues them and adopts them out once they are of age and had their shots.

The female ( Ginny ) is a very sweet cat and when she jumps up onto my leg she doesn't dig her claws into me at all she is very delicate. However.... the male ( Harry ) when he jumps on my leg OWWWWW!!!! he sinks his claws into my leg, knee, thigh whatever just so he can hold on when he jumps.

And it's really starting to tick me off cause he is tearing up my legs and the last thing I want to get is round worm or whatever else possible infections such as cat scratch fever. I have been clawed all my life though from cats and never got sick or infected but there is always a first you know?

Many years ago I had bought nail caps for a different cat and I hated them because they never stayed glued onto his claws and I'm just wondering if in the time that has passed they have improved them and I should use them on Harry. Because he really hurt me last week when he jumped on the back of my leg and sunk his claws into me to where I was almost in tears from how much it hurt. And I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't like me :( because he doesn't like it when I pet him or show him any loving affection and I'm wondering if he is jealous of the female?

Because I sometimes stop their play when I hear Ginny growling at him and he bullies her, She loves it when I lay down and pet her, but then it's not long before he comes over and eyes her getting ready to pounce.

I play with them every day, they have a homemade scratching post box that I made from cardboard and they use it. And they have a cat tower for climbing and I even made a ramp for them to jump up to get to higher places. And two litter cats that I clean every other day and show them plenty of attention. And they are going to be spayed and neutered soon and I'm hoping that will calm Harry down.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a cat tree, one with the rope type post. Also a horizontal scratch pad. My kittens used to climb my leg and back all the time. Every time they did, I just relocated them to the tree. Clawing me stopped within a week.
I got both mine at Walmart and was surprised that they are both good quality.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree that you need more scratching posts, and some made in different materials. Some cats like the flat cardboard ones.

Also, it sounds like he needs more play time to get his energy out.

You are not going to get roundworms from a scratch, and disease is unlikely as well.

Don't take it personally. Your cats have different personalities and your male needs more outlet. He's likely not a Bombay, but a black domestic short hair. I know bombays are supposed to be chill.