Need Advice! Single Or Double Carrier?

Troyanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Transporting my deceased Mom's two 7-year-old litter-mates to their new home - 3 hours away. They are very big and neither has ever been in a car before. Should I get a double carrier so they can comfort each other? My concern is that the doubles look too flimsy for carrying cats from house to car.
I've never had a cat and would appreciate advice on this question - and any tips you can offer.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Did your mom have carriers to take them to the vet? If they already have carriers it would be best to keep them in something familiar.

Could you describe what you mean by a double carrier? Are you looking at something extra large, or maybe a carrier with a divider in it?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd keep them separate. They may be stressed and blame each other for it.

I'm curious about what you mean by double carrier too!
OK, I googled that and it looks like the double carriers are soft carriers. I don't recommend soft carriers for long car trips. Better to get a couple of good hard carriers. Less chance of escapes and easier to clean.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or maybe a large dog travelling crate if that fits into the car. But if your Mom already has carriers for them, just use that since it will smell familar to them.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to offer my condolences on the loss of your mom, bless you for making sure her furbabys are being taken care of. Are you taking them in or are they going to a different home? The carriers they are familiar with would be best, they are already traumatized by her loss.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think single carriers would be best. If they are unaccustomed to riding in a vehicle they may vomit or potty on the long trip. If one gets sick, you would have to clean both up if they are sharing a carrier.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go separate. Stressed cats can get a little hissy and even get into a fight with the other. You don’t want to have to deal with that while driving.

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss.

I would get each cat their own carrier. They will be able to have more space that way, plus if they are confined in a small space together for a long time they may fight. If you could find a blanket or towel to put in the carriers that smell familiar it might help them as well.