Need Advice Re: My Ferals

KarenB0215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I'm new to this site and need help! I inherited a colony of around 17 ferals when I moved to my current residence. We have 4 acres and woods. My husband & I have gotten all of them spayed/neutered and my daughter adopted one. Number has decreased to about 12 now. We cleared out an 8x10 garden shed and put straw, boxes, toys, heat lamp and bought 6 bed mat/tunnels that are supposed to keep in warmth - but I can't get them to go inside! We are only feeding/watering in the shed now and they do eat but scatter if we are around. It was 6 degrees a few nights ago and only one cat went in and he was snug as a bug in the blanket tunnel. Any suggestions? Sorry so long. Thanks - Karen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenB0215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I'm new to this site and need help! I inherited a colony of around 17 ferals when I moved to my current residence. We have 4 acres and woods. My husband & I have gotten all of them spayed/neutered and my daughter adopted one. Number has decreased to about 12 now. We cleared out an 8x10 garden shed and put straw, boxes, toys, heat lamp and bought 6 bed mat/tunnels that are supposed to keep in warmth - but I can't get them to go inside! We are only feeding/watering in the shed now and they do eat but scatter if we are around. It was 6 degrees a few nights ago and only one cat went in and he was snug as a bug in the blanket tunnel. Any suggestions? Sorry so long. Thanks - Karen

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Karen! :hellocomputer:

The only thing I can tell you is that you've provided a wonderful, welcoming place for the kitties to take shelter, and now it's up to them. The feral I TNR'd last spring started hanging out on my back patio until the Hurricane Harvey storm hit, then she kept disappearing...during the very worst parts of the storm. She apparently had some place where she was comfortable sheltering since long before I trapped her. :dunno:

I'll bet the more your colony gets accustomed to eating in their shed you made for them, the more they'll hang around and take shelter there from the worst of the weather elements. They feel comfortable after a while where they get guaranteed food. My feral started coming in the house on cold winter nights now, but it really took months and months to get her to trust me and not disappear from time to time.

Thank you for helping the kitties! :rock:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. I know. I have 2 kitties inside all the time, but the one I worry over the most is the little wild one in the backyard.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give them some time becoming accustomed ...the food source is the great magnet. That'll keep them around, in time I think they'll figure out the shelter arrangement, go inside and see it ain't too bad at all. On THEIR terms, in THEIR time only.
Good job and good luck with 'em.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling cat nip around and inside the shelters? I have lured quite a few that way. Just be sure to not leave food out at night. It will attract other wildlife. You might wake one one morning to a raccoon inside the shelter.

KarenB0215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling cat nip around and inside the shelters? I have lured quite a few that way. Just be sure to not leave food out at night. It will attract other wildlife. You might wake one one morning to a raccoon inside the shelter.
Thank you - it rained hard today and some are under the shed but not in it - I guess they'll figure it out!

KarenB0215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did sprinkle cat nip - they are eating just not sheltering hopefully they will get more used to it with time - thanks!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One other thought I have, does the shelter have an adequate entrance/exit? Many cats will not sleep where they do not have an exit and entrance or a large enough main entrance. If a predator was to come, they need more than one way to get out.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent point! I'm wondering if any headway has been made?

When I started I tried the rubbermaid tote with styrofoam cooler inside and straw with only an entrance hole. I don't care how cozy or fancy I made these shelters, the cats would not step foot in them.

Once I switched to using the Omaha Steak Coolers with straw, and an entrance and exit hole, Voila!! Snug as little bugs in rugs almost every single night.

Also with having 4 acres with woods, their's no telling what kind of wildlife you have that you may have no idea is lurking and coming around and feeding when your not looking. In some instances I've used a game camera in situations if I feel their is a threat to my cats or they're just not acting right. You'd be surprised at the footage you might find!!

Thank you for providing them a safe haven and a wonderful place to stay warm and dry. <3