Need advice: pregnant cat with no signs of milk

benster121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Aggie is 1 and she's 62 days pregnant with her first litter, a litter of 6 or more as indicated by an ultrasound at 5.5weeks. She's not shown any nesting behaviours but is extremely affectionate and has been grooming herself a lot the past day or so. However her nipples just look pink and there is no milk yet, it's really starting to worry me as most websites I've seen sat 24-48h before labour typically milk comes in. Does anyone have an experience with this not being the case or is there any advice on when to worry as I know she may carry for a few more days!
Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat Aggie is 1 and she's 62 days pregnant with her first litter, a litter of 6 or more as indicated by an ultrasound at 5.5weeks. She's not shown any nesting behaviours but is extremely affectionate and has been grooming herself a lot the past day or so. However her nipples just look pink and there is no milk yet, it's really starting to worry me as most websites I've seen sat 24-48h before labour typically milk comes in. Does anyone have an experience with this not being the case or is there any advice on when to worry as I know she may carry for a few more days!
Thanks!
As you say, its common they deliver later than day 63,,,, 65-67 is quite common...
Its not that unusual the milk comes in later, sometimes even AFTER the delivery...
Its rare they dont have any milk at all.

But yeah, the wise caretaker doublegurards and makes sure shehe has a good kmr or goats milk at hand, a syringe (preferably also a mini-miracle nipple),
and a bottle with nipple. (its much easier with a bottle, but if they dont take bottle, a syringe, or or even dropper, may be the way to go)

ps. And how to know they gets enough? The easiest way is to weight them every day in the same time... If they add 10+ grammes a day, its good, if much less, you begin to worry.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ StefanZ . Her milk will come in. Be prepared with supplies as indicated, and if more than 6 kittens, you may need to rotate nursing in 2 shifts every 2 hours. Wait and see!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. With such a big litter, dont let her eat more than 4 placentas...
Placentas contain much hormones and nourishment... If eaten all at once, there is a big risk for hefty diarrhea...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even in humans, it is not unusual for the milk to come in after the delivery. They still nurse and get colostrum, which is VERY important for health and immunity. I would eigh them daily, like said above, and make sure they are thriving. Have everything ready, mom can always have the KMR if they don't need it, she will need the extra nourishment.