Need advice on feeding 3-4 month old kitten

Creong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I have a 3 month old kitten who is reaching 4 months in another two weeks, and I need some advice on the best feeding plan for him.

I am currently facing difficulties putting him on scheduled feeding, as I work irregular shifts and sometimes I may be away for more than 12 hours a day (or night). Many people I know have advised me to leave a bowl of dry food out the entire day (measured portion) and to feed wet food twice a day - may I know if this is a good way to feed my kitten?

The main reason why I had wanted to put him on a schedule was to train him to sleep through the night. It has been working so far as he rarely wakes up as long as I feed his last meal right before bedtime. Therefore, I am a little worried that the new feeding plan (free-feeding dry food + twice a day wet food) may break this pattern - not sure if he'll be uninterested to eat before bedtime if he has already snacked on the dry food throughout the day.

I would like to know what you guys think about this feeding plan? Thank you so much!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed two wet meals a day, dry free fed throughout the day and I have my cats on a schedule. After dinner time, if I am not getting in bed in a timely manner they will yell or stare awkwardly at me until I do. Just try to find a low carb dry otherwise you could trigger health issues (obesity, diabetes, etc). And make sure you keep your kitten active even once they are an adult.

I present you evidence number 1 of Rocket, sitting and staring at me until she fell asleep on my desk. She then slept walked herself to my bed and fell asleep on me in seconds (she was feral and won't let me pick her up).

20210110_135030.jpg
20210110_135023.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use timers for canned food. Or first 2 meals canned,3rd dry. The frozen pouches don't last 12 hrs. If you want them on a schedule, timers or have someone feed your cats. Plus it's almost summer. Time for ants and roaches. At least your cats will take care of that(roaches,and flies)

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think as long as you leave out a measured amount of dry food for the times you will be gone for 12 hours, you won't mess too much with his schedule and he should still eat his wet food dinner. They will typically get used to whatever you need them to get used to. But I do think going 12 hours without any food is too long for this young of a kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Creong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed two wet meals a day, dry free fed throughout the day and I have my cats on a schedule. After dinner time, if I am not getting in bed in a timely manner they will yell or stare awkwardly at me until I do. Just try to find a low carb dry otherwise you could trigger health issues (obesity, diabetes, etc). And make sure you keep your kitten active even once they are an adult.

I present you evidence number 1 of Rocket, sitting and staring at me until she fell asleep on my desk. She then slept walked herself to my bed and fell asleep on me in seconds (she was feral and won't let me pick her up).

View attachment 382695View attachment 382696
Alright, I'll stick to the plan of leaving dry food out and feeding wet food twice a day then! Anyway that's a really adorable kitty!

I use timers for canned food. Or first 2 meals canned,3rd dry. The frozen pouches don't last 12 hrs. If you want them on a schedule, timers or have someone feed your cats. Plus it's almost summer. Time for ants and roaches. At least your cats will take care of that(roaches,and flies)
Thank you for the advice! Extra exercises for the kitty if these pests appear then hahaha

I think as long as you leave out a measured amount of dry food for the times you will be gone for 12 hours, you won't mess too much with his schedule and he should still eat his wet food dinner. They will typically get used to whatever you need them to get used to. But I do think going 12 hours without any food is too long for this young of a kitten.
Thank you, I shall let him snack on the dry food while feeding wet food for breakfast and dinner/supper!