Need advice on best way to move 8 cats from one state to another.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

My husband has just informed me he wants a divorce. Due to cost of living where I am I will be forced to move from Ma to Ga. I have 8 kitties and plan to take them all with me as my husband has told me if I don't take them he will send them to the shelter.

I have called the airlines about flying them all and it is going to cost over $2000 to ship them all. Is there any other way besides either shoving 8 cat carriers in the car and driving for maybe 5-8 hours stopping at hotel spending the night and going the rest of the way in the morning or flying them? I only have a small car so cat stacking will take new meaning as when I put them in the car I will have no room for my stuff.

I know rescues transport rescues from state to state sometimes to give the cats new opportunities to be adopted or to relieve over crowding. Are there any transport companies or rescues that might be willing to let my kitties hitch a ride? I will pay for the service. I don't expect for free.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry about your situation. I just went through the same a few months ago. If it were me I would definitely just rent a small trailer from Uhaul. They are like $20 I think. They have enclosed ones for a little more if you want to put the cats in there instead of in your car. That might be better so they won't be meowing in your ears for 5 hours straight.

Wish you all the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol someone suggested the back of the Uhaul but I thought they were nuts lol. Isnt it too warm/cold back there with no light or ventilation?

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do the cats need light? Are they going to be reading the newspaper? What's the temp in GA this time of year... 70s? They should be quite comfy but that's why I said to get the enclosed type if you put the cats in there. If it worries you then put the cats in your car and put your crap in the Uhaul.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's a good idea--put your things in the U-Haul, your kitties in the back of your car.  Is that do-able?  I feel for you--and I applaud you for being determined to take them with you and make a new home.  

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would love to be able to put them in the car but 8 of them in carriers in the back seat of a grand am doesn't work that well. I have to stack atleast 3 of the crates on top as I can only squeeze 5 along the back sit in a single row. I worry the other 3 carriers will just slide across the top of the other 5. I have tried strapping them to the other carriers but as soon as we go for a little bit and they start moving in the carriers the ties loosen up, which would mean stopping every so often and re tightening, not a big issue.

The big issue with 8 cats in a car or even the back of a trailer is accidents. Some of my cats have accidents in the crates on the short trip too and from the vets which is 15 mins a way. If they have an accident on the highway or more than one cat has an accident on the highway. I am not sure there is enough febreeze on this earth that could get my son and I through the smell until and lingering smell after the clean up. There would be 2 crazy people driving down I 95 with their heads out of the window trying to get fresh air. 

Small number 1 accidents can wait til a rest stop or hotel stop, a number 2 accident on the highway would constitute state of emergency trying to wrangle the cat in a car or public rest room to clean the crate. 

The other issue is 1200 miles of singing, 1, 2 even 3 singing cats for 8 hours is ok anything over 3 and I'd look like a crazy woman once I got out the car for the night and let's be honest the singing wont stop in the hotel unless I get them their own room they will sing to me alllll night and repeat in the car.

So for their benefit and my sanity I would like to pass this wonderful joy of transport to someone else. I think it would be less stressful for them and me if I could get them flown down there or driven straight through in a climate controlled, air purified van or transport service.

Thank you for your replies and no I don't think they will be reading but a little light so they can orient themselves was what i was thinking.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Haha.  I know it's not funny but it's good you have a bit of a sense of humor about it all.  I understand about the singing.  We had to transport four cats and it was only a two hour drive, but two of the four nearly drove us crazy with non-stop distressed meowing, even with Feliway spray in their blankets to try to calm them down.

Hopefully another member will come along with some information about cat transport services--I saw several listed on Google but who knows what they cost or where they operate.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats might be better off in an enclosed dark place, I don't think it would stress them so bad. You might try the 'Calming' treats from Amazon, they sure work on calming my cats down for a vet visit, it worked so well it scared me the first time they were so quiet. I really feel for you and hope you find a solution. I took 3 kittens on a 1.5 hour trip and I thought I HAD gone insane, my head was splitting! Good luck!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would not put the cats in a separate trailer because you can't see if one of them gets sick or pees or poops in the carrier.

I frequently travel to cat shows with a friend with 6-8 cats in the back seat of the car. Stacking the carriers is not really a problem. We use the seatbelts to hold the bottom row of carriers in place. Put a non-skid mat on top of the carrier and place a second carrier on it. Then use bungee cords to tie down the upper row of carriers.

I use shelf liner that comes in rolls for the mat between the carriers. It's kind of a perforated foam that you can easily cut to size. You can see what I'm talking about here on amazon. I've never ordered it online because it's available at a local hardware store or places like Walmart or Target.

gverdugo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could offer some helpful advice. I think some of the suggestions here are good. You have my sympathies for your situation. Eight cats is nothing to sneeze at! 

In the past, when moving, we used a cat moving service and they did all the work. The prices have gone up (as you have seen) since the last time we needed to do this, however. 

The only thing I can think is to really load up on the calming treats, so the cats aren't yowling too much. 

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for you're replies.

I am going to look further into some moving companies, but I think I am just going to go down get in the house (wherever that is lol) Fly back up and ship them cargo on Delta. Delta has climate controlled live animal cargo holds. My hope is to fly up, load them up, get them on the plane and fly back down same flight and just grab them and take them home. It is exxxxxppppeeensive!! To fly them on Delta will be approx $325 per cat (price I pay for having big/fat cats) but it will be max 5-8 hours of their life and I am hoping they can handle the flight. My sanity just will not allow me 2 full days in the car with them too many things can happen. What if god forbid the car breaks down. I some how think AAA would pass out when the tow truck driver saw me, my son and 8 crates lmao..

gverdugo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am going to look further into some moving companies, but I think I am just going to go down get in the house (wherever that is lol) Fly back up and ship them cargo on Delta. Delta has climate controlled live animal cargo holds. My hope is to fly up, load them up, get them on the plane and fly back down same flight and just grab them and take them home. It is exxxxxppppeeensive!! To fly them on Delta will be approx $325 per cat (price I pay for having big/fat cats) but it will be max 5-8 hours of their life and I am hoping they can handle the flight. My sanity just will not allow me 2 full days in the car with them too many things can happen. What if god forbid the car breaks down. I some how think AAA would pass out when the tow truck driver saw me, my son and 8 crates lmao..
Yeah, I'm thinking that's the best way to go too. Even though it's expensive.

Years ago we had to do this. We packed up quite a passel of kitties and fortunately had a family member meeting them at their destination. What we did to help ease the stress was we shipped ahead of time some of our "stinky" blankets and clothes (fabric items that had our "scent" on them) and our family member at the other end said that when the cats got a whiff of the "familiar" things, they calmed down considerably in the new home. (Hope that makes sense.)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend that you really, really reinforce the locks on the carrier doors, just to be on the safe side! (scary). You wouldn't want to take any chance that the cats get out because of some person who doesn't know what they are doing, but hopefully the airlines have well trained people for this. Yes, I would highly recommend calming collars, spaying feliway, or comfort zone in the crates, as well as the blankets. beds, etc.. that smell like you for comfort. You could also ask your vet about a mild sedative for them before leaving, as to help them not get as stressed, in a very stressful situation. Then maybe they will sleep the whole time, which would be much better for them. 

Best of luck. I'm sorry you are going through this. Keep us posted.

Will say a prayer for you & the kitties. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

I've you're going to be flying yourself you could do a combination of one cat in cabin with you, two carriers as checked luggage (they would still go in the climate controlled cargo space), and the rest as cargo. That would take a little more planning/coordination but would cut down on the total cost.

Where are you flying from and to? Be sure to check airline restrictions because they will not carry live animals to certain destinations when the outdoor temperature is too hot or too cold.

You've obviously already done some research since you know the cost of shipping cargo. Here is a link to the Delta pet travel options that has the information all in one place, in case you haven't seen it. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...avel-needs/pets/pet-travel-options.html#carry

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hard to believe they allow dogs or cats in the passenger cabin.   Wouldn`t there be an issue if somebody is allergic?  Just sayin...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Hard to believe they allow dogs or cats in the passenger cabin.   Wouldn`t there be an issue if somebody is allergic?  Just sayin...
Most domestic airlines in the U.S. allow animals in the cabin as long as they're in carriers that can fit under the seat. I know there are some international airlines and some destinations that do not allow in cabin pets.

Many people who say they are allergic don't actually have strong reactions when they don't even know the animals are there. The people who are truly allergic take precautions before traveling.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd give an update on this incase anyone else finds themself in my position.

Travel plans changed and we are moving to Florida in July, still getting divorced just seems to take forever.

Anyways I found a transport company that will take all 8 down in a climate controlled mercedes van with built in carriers. She is a vet tech and actually sleeps in the van with the animals. Total cost for all 8 is $1500 and worth every penny for me. She says she will take about 2 days to get down there. While I wish I could get them there faster I think this is the best approach for us. I am currently sleeping on baby receiving blankets to have ready to put in the crates with my kids so they have something from home.

This place comes highly recommended from a friend of mine who is a vet and uses them to transport her show dogs. I feel so much better knowing that I wont be locked in a car for 2 days with singing cats. I really would be a mad woman by the time we made it there lol.

Anyways thought I'd let you all know. Thanks for all the help.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news! Highly recommended from a vet is great, & a vet tech that is doing it is even better!  I know you are so relieved.  

I watched (& follow these two) a video on you tube of a couple that has two cats, Cole & Marmalade. They are too cute! They moved from California to Florida, & this is how they did it. 

I was very impressed with how they did it, & got them ready, as well as how well the cats did. Anyway, here is the video if anyone is interested, or needs ideas for moving with only a couple of cats.

It's a great video!! 

Last edited by a moderator: