Need Advice From Other Foster Parents

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently foster 3, whom are in a playpen. They are almost big enough to not get into places, like under the stove or between the fridge and the wall. But until then, they are in the only playpen I have.

The shelter just got in 20 new kittens from a hoarding situation. All are about 3-4 weeks. They are busting at the seams and looking for anyone who can foster.
I do have a room. (we call it an Arizona room) which I may be able to convert. But, it has no heat or air to it. It does have a ceiling fan, and 4 windows. Even though I'm in the mountains, it's still Arizona and gets from 80-90 degrees. Yesterday was 85.
Do the kittens still need a heating pad at this age? I kept mine on one because it actually snowed last week, but it's removed now. Not to mention they are 9 weeks.
But if they do, how do I make sure they stay on it?
I thought about buying more playpens, but they are $40 each and I just don't have that to spare on things I may never use after this one time, but it's still an option.

Any advice on how to convert this room so I can take some of these kittens off their hands.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are old enough to keep up their own body temp. Also, kittens are higly movable, and thus, keep up their temp better than a still laying cat.

That said, cats do appreciate a warmth source, if its noticeably cold at your place. Even if they DO manage withoug, as we see with homeless cats. And maage OK if they have some nice towel to lie on, or even cat igloo to seek shelter in... (and or bodies of pals and littermates).

So, you dont need to overdo it, but it were nice to find something.

Perhaps an IR-warming lamp? They dont need to be costly, and if you do much fostering and rescuing, you will always have use for it. Esp if you get in weak or premature kittens whom must be handfed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of these kittens are bottle babies. That's why the need for fosters with experience. Playpens would be ideal, but then I have the issue of the heat. I am currently sitting on my bed with 3 fans going and I'm melting. The Arizona room is worse. If I had playpens I could make a space in the 2nd living room, but the back room is big and ideal. Except for the heat issue.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, heat, not cold. :) Still the tip on IR-lamps is useful, not for these batch, but for some winter batch. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had also asked about cold, so thank you for the advice on that. Last week it snowed, this week it's in the 80's. This weather is whacked.

But I decided that no matter how much I want to help these kittens...I can't. My girls are getting spayed next week along with their final shot. Their immune system is going to be compromised while they heal from the spay, and I cannot bring in younger kittens during this time. Especially from a hoarding situation.
I feel selfish, but I won't jeopardize my kittens health.

Thank you very much. You never know what will happen next month.