Neck Pulsing Cat

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I sent a video of this pulsing thing to my vet, and they said its just his neck artery.
Yes, cats have carotid arteries and jugular veins just like people do.

The carotid artery is the vessel that carries blood from the heart to the brain. Except for a few branches that feed the face and head, the carotid is, pretty much a straight shot from the heart to the brain.

Yes, it is possible to feel the heartbeat by touching the area around the carotid artery and, sometimes, you might be able to see it pulsating. In fact, this is how doctors and EMTs check a person's heart rate. It's called "palpation." ("Palpate" comes from the Latin word meaning, "touch" or "feel.")

You might also feel your cat's heartbeat if you pet him or cuddle with him.

I have known people who get creeped out when they feel an animal's heartbeat. Come to think, it can be kind of creepy if you're not used to it.

A cat's normal heart rate, at rest, should be somewhere around 150 beats per minute. (BPM.)
If you are cuddling with your cat and feeling his heartbeat, you should be able to count his heartbeat like, "One-a-two-a-three-a-four-a..."
If you can look at a clock, count the number of heartbeats in fifteen seconds then multiply by four. You should be able to count 36 or 37 beats in fifteen seconds.

You can also...kinda'-sorta...feel how strong your cat's heart is beating. If he's resting (cuddling with you) it will obviously be weaker than if he's been active.

Like I said, this is the kind of stuff that doctors and EMTs do with people. It is a little bit more difficult to do it with cats but it IS possible to check your cat's health by palpating his heartbeat, just like doctors do on people.

It would be a smart thing if you could take some time to learn how to palpate your cat's heartbeat so that you know what's normal and what's not. Maybe, one day, when you are lying down and cuddling or otherwise sharing some quiet time, you could check your cat's heartbeat to learn what is normal.

Some day, it just might come in handy if your cat gets sick or has trouble with his ticker. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad his health turned around in such a positive way! Out of curiosity, do you know the name of this infection and how they ended up diagnosing it?
I don't remember the exact bacteria I believe there were several. They were finally able to diagnose by a couple of ultrasounds and aspirations of the areas that were of concern.

I feel so lucky he's ok. It was super strange too one day I was just kind of giving up like there is nothing more I can do to save him and all of a sudden the next day he started eating again. It was a bit of a miracle. Even the vets were shocked at his turn around it was pretty iffy. They talked about possibly removing the spleen or something but I kind of thought if it got to that point I should maybe call it. He's a very expensive cat now after all of that haha.