Necessity for B12 injections with IBD?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, I spoke with the vet this morning. She said that now that Jasmine is eating normally and regaining the weight she lost the B12 isn't necessary so I shouldn't worry about it. Apparently she meant it strictly as an appetite stimulant, and Jasmine's appetite was never the problem. As long as I fed her something she considered to be "food," she ate it. It was the fact that she was losing weight despite eating normally that made me take her in for a diagnosis in the first place.
I'd still like to be able to get the B12 into her - I think she probably needs it - but the pressure to do it now is off.
Did you have her B-12 level tested? I only ask because I am able to keep Feeby's weight maintained, and yet her B-12 level is pretty low. There is a level of malabsorption that goes beyond just weight loss. All of that should have been covered in the articles you were provided above. I'd get Jasmine's level checked if you haven't already.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s good that the injections are not absolutely needed since Jasmine is not cooperating! My Jaxson was diagnosed IBD at age 7. We managed it nicely for 7 years with prednisone given orally with syringe and probiotics added to his food. He passed away last november😿. We miss him but thanks to good vet care our little buddy had 14 good years❤ I hope Jasmine does well and maybe talk to your vet about risks/ benefits of steroids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine!!
Evidence indicates that she threw up immediately after eating it, so maybe she'll make the correlation. She's a pretty smart cat.

My vet always does the scruff, not into the shoulder blades.
Not into the shoulder blades, between them. There's sort of a natural pocket there. I've also seen YouTube videos about injecting B12 into the rump.

No, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , to the best of my knowledge her B12 level hasn't been checked. But with all she's been through I don't see how it could be at normal levels right now.

Margret