Mythical Lions

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Closest I can come up with is a griffin, which has the body of a lion, the head and wings of an eagle, the tail of a serpent. This sundial gnomen has a head that looks more lion-like than eagle-ish.

A chimera has a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail. No wings.

Help me out. What's this?
Arizona-Lowell Observatory_2019-04_griffin gnomen.jpg

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Closest I can come up with is a griffin, which has the body of a lion, the head and wings of an eagle, the tail of a serpent. This sundial gnomen has a head that looks more lion-like than eagle-ish.

A chimera has a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail. No wings.

Help me out. What's this?
View attachment 283368
Got a front view?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely not a gargoyle. They're on roof to direct water away from gutter / downspout.

This sundial picture is the only one I took that I kept. Have emailed Lowell Observatory - let's see if I get an answer.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks promising, Norachan. Maybe /sorta the sundial gnomen has a human head. No. I zoomed in on the original image and it has a definite muzzle. And the wings are an issue. Manticore mostly don't have wings from what I looked up. But this is good! Power of TheCatSite will figure this out!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got it W Willowy ! It's the winged lion of Venice! Lion of Venice - Wikipedia

I always seem to want to complicate things. Winged lion it is. Yay!~ for TheCatSite and its people. Its cats - well, we know about them.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my dreams, Norachan Norachan We do have a nice sundial but not this nice. We were in Sedona Arizona in April, for a 10 day, three generation family vacation. Saw the winged lion sundial at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff. It had been a 50th birthday gift to Percival Lowell from the observatory staff in, I think, 1905.