Mysterious issues with kitty before passing :(

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long history of IBD with diarrhea, black tarry stools for my girl Laverne. Well managed on prednisone the past 2 years but it started up again last month so used metronidazole once or twice. But the history...
About 6 months ago she had been on husbands lap when suddenly her left ear went down like an itch and she was walking a little drunk like. After 10 minutes she was fine. Then a couple weeks later her hind legs got weak. No pain as vet said as examined and perfect x rays. But last 2 weeks they got worse. She started meowing a lot and climbing into places she did as a kitten and had this new "strength" it seemed. Thurs night I massaged her hind legs to see if she yelped at all to know if that was why she was meowing, but the only thing that happened is that left ear and side of head went down, and she made odd noises and walked funny. But within 15 minutes she was fine again.

I was so worried i took her to the vet and we tried the Solencia injection thinking her legs hurt, but also had read it can help IBD. I asked about the ear episode and she said not vestibular disease as it doesnt go away in moments. Had an other Xray and all looked great less LOTS Of gas in belly. Presuming maybe that was source of pain. No ultrasound because she was at least 17-19 since a rescue not sure. Took her home that night and when we woke up Saturday she was walking very low and could no longer do steps. She nearly hit walls with her head and kept meowing. She LOVED to be held but when i picked her up her legs vibrated like uncontrollably. When I set her down she just was restless, every 10 minutes tried going somewhere often near steps to come up but could not. It was if her brain knew what she wanted but body could not cooperate. I cannot unsee this :( I called vet but closed then eventually got one to come help her cross over because we felt this was it. It was heartbreaking to see. Vet agreed it was time but wasn't sure if maybe had cancer from IBD and it spread to brain and this was neurological or stroke etc. but could not explain the odd episodes with ear that prefaced this once a few months ago then Thursday night. I just hate knowing she was meowing in pain or agony and hope maybe just confused but i know otherwise. :(
I did not do a necropsy due to expense and fear she was filled with cancer.

I am really struggling with this loss as she was our chatty rescue and the house is SO quiet now but others are older and ornery and not sure I can bring another in, and of course unlikely so chatty. Not that it wasn't hard at times when on calls.

Curious to know if this sounds familiar to anyone and if I should have said goodbye sooner. Thank you. Our hearts are so broken and the other 2 are confused. Another has IBD so worried about her now given this. Thanks much

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss :hugs: It's always difficult, but may be more so when you don't know what happened. And without a necropsy, you may never know.

As to your other cat with IBD, there is no reason to think that it will turn into cancer and go to her brain. IF that is what happened to Laverne, I think it is rare and chances are it would not occur again within your little cat family. Try not to let that thought get in your head too much or it will make your recovery of Laverne's loss even harder.

I have read hundreds, if not thousands of threads here on TCS, but Laverne's symptoms do not sound familiar as a whole. Again, you have my sympathy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. It's so hard to escape :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss.
Laverne's symptoms do not sound familiar as a whole.
I agree with this and it may have been something neurological which was untreatable no matter what you would have done.

there is no reason to think that it will turn into cancer and go to her brain
IBD does not have to progress to cancer and intestinal cancers do not have the brain as a frequent point of metastases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss.

I agree with this and it may have been something neurological which was untreatable no matter what you would have done.

IBD does not have to progress to cancer and intestinal cancers do not have the brain as a frequent point of metastases.
Thank you for sharing and for the condolences.
It is so mysterious as the ear position and drunken like walk happened just 2x that we saw. But what we saw Saturday was horrific. I can't help but wonder if the Solencia contributed to that episode but i sure hope not.

As for the cancer, prior kitty had IBD and eventually a brain tumor. Unrelated then I suppose but he had the most violent seizures even my vet said she never heard of anything like that. Would spring into the air and body would vibrate and move across the room for a minute. Thank goodness i was working at home and could hold him down and protect him but it was surreal. Now I have 2 episodes I can't unsee. We just "assume" he had a brain tumor based on this. Hopefully never see these things again. :(