Mysterious disease, help

bengalwaffle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am writing this post because I am desperate. I live in mexico city and I have a bengal cat named waffle. He just turned 3 years old. I bought him from a cattery and, since he was 2 months old he has not had contact with any cat and does not go outside. When he was 2 and a half years old, after playing with a chewing toy, he started to bleed from his mouth (big drops, even his mouth filled with blood). We could never detect where it was coming from mouth or nose. The bleeding stopped but continued a day later. On the third day it stopped and her vet surmised that he must have cut his tongue or gum with the toy. Months later the bleeding returned. We never knew if the blood was coming from the nose or the mouth. but it went to the mouth, (usually on the left side) Waffle has always presented a dry nose, which regenerates over the weeks. sometimes it looks very pink and pretty, and other times it looks dry and crusty. Months later the blood returned but very little and very sporadically. It was since February 28 (after bleeding very little for several days) that I noticed he looked very weak and lethargic. I took him to the emergency room and, after a quick inspection where the vet detected no internal bleeding, a blood test was done which revealed anemia and leukemia. After a blood transfusion, the blood test was repeated 4 days later but this time the leukemia was negative. A month later I repeated the LEVF PCR test and it was negative again. The leukemia has been discarded. Waffle was also negative for Mycoplasma Hemotropica and coronavirus. His poop was tested and he had Giardiasis, but it has been treated and apparently it has nothing to do with the blood. In 15 days I will have an appointment with a dentist to check if he have injuries in teeth and mouth. But the only conclusion of the vet is that he have low platelets. Waffle is currently on: gastroprazole, probiotics, predni and cyclosporine. He eats every day, and clean himself but he is very lethargic and sleeps a lot. Has anyone had a similar case?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The dental check up is a good thing to do, but also ask about an ultrasound/MRI to see if he has ulcerations/lesions in his upper esophagus or sinus/nasal passages that come and go as a result of a virus or a form of tumors/polyps/growths. If he eats dry food, and will tolerate canned food, that might help if it does have something to do with his mouth or throat. I have no experience with any of this, but thought if they haven't gone down this path already it might be another option to look into.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to wonder if perhaps he has nasal polyps. If they were at the back of the nasal passage, they would bleed into the mouth. Certainly something to check for!

@Silvery Crazy, do any of your Bengal people have any ideas here?

I am sorry this has taken so long...our site went down for several days following a fire!