My Younger Cat Hates My Older Cat

butterfly1395

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is one years old and she came from a hording situation with other cats. While she loves me, she is paranoid of my boyfriend, loud noises, and fast movement. I've been working hard with her to let her know that she's safe. We had her for a few months before a stray cat came to our door - he is 7 years old, and VERY kind and social and loves cuddles. We got him all vaccinated and he was already fixed. He is so curious about our other cat, but SHE HATES HIM. She hisses at the sight of him and bolts under the couch. A few times he got too close and she swiped at him. He will sit across the room and watch for her to come out. When he sees her, he will "bow" down and show signs that he is not a threat to her. She still is all fired up. It's been like this for 2 months now. We've tried everything possible that I've read online, every technique, every tip. What the heck do we do?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to give you the links to a couple of articles on introducing cats. Now, I know that your two have been in the same home for a bit with no success, but start out as if they have never seen each other. The lovely thing with cats is that you CAN have a very successful do-over with things like this. Occasionally, two cats who have been friends for years will have an issue, usually when one goes to the vet and comes home smelling different...it works then, and it can certainly work now. The main thing is, BE PATIENT! This takes as long as it takes. Sometimes weeks, sometimes even months, but it does work when you take it a step at a time and don't rush things!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Again, be patient. This isn't a quick fix, but it is a good one! Actually, two months isn't very long at all in the world of cat introductions.