My winter garden

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a picture of my salad greens planted in my Aerogarden only 18 days ago!  I'm so excited.  Looks like I'm already overdue for harvesting!!

Next is a picture of my Swiss Chard and Spinach (also 18 days old) planted outside in my Grow Box.  (when i say 18 days old, that's when I planted them...they were in little pony packs, about 1/1/2 inches in diameter per plant when I planted them.  They are also due to be harvested.  *Note, 3 of the plants didn't make it
....posslby a good thing, 'cause it looks like I'm running out of room!

And lastly, this is a tomato plant that was all dried up in May, so I just set the pot by the side of the house and forgot all about it.  Then 2 weeks ago I walked over there for something and noticed a plant growing out of the pot.  Low and behold, it was a tomato plant.  Strange, because it never got any water all summer, and we only got about 2 drops of rain over the summer, but I dragged the pot into a sunny area again, put a tomato cage in it, staked the plant up and watered it.  Now it's got several blooms on it which I'm hoping turn into fruit!!!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's really cool! We would never be able to keep anything outside during the winter around here though.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Your pictures are lovely! This morning, it was 26 degrees here with lots of frost. And you're growing tomatoes! Love the aerogarden!

(I have your garlic keeper on my kitchen counter.)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That Aerogarden looks like a great idea. And I can't believe you're growing tomatoes outside in winter! Wow, what a difference down south.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fresh tomatoes in winter!  That would be so nice!  Bravo for your winter garden! 
We have a little greenhouse window in our outbuilding (aka DH's man cave).  I've tried to start tomato seeds there, only to have them burn up when the sprout.  Guess it's too much sun in the spring.  I've often wondered if I could grow tomato plants in that window, but now that Buster lives there, I won't try.  (Buster is DH's cat with feline leukemia; he is around 20 or even older.  He is a carrier, he doesn't show symptoms of the actual disease.  He lived in DH's office for a long time, but DH moved him home when he rented his property to someone else.  He does not take kindly to cats and he lives alone in the building.  We got him the Purrfect Fence, he has heat and air, and lots of attention.  He'll go outside in his enclosure, but prefers to stay on the concrete patio area; he does not like grass. 
)  Sorry for the long speech on Buster, but I thought since I mentioned him, I should explain him. 

I hope you have fabulous luck with your winter garden and I know that you will. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow that is awesome!!! Do you mind if I ask where you got the first planter with the light? I would love to have something like that:)
It's actually called Aerogarden, and they have a website, (just google Aerogarden...they are currently have great sales), or you can get them on Amazon. 
I wondered if those aeroplanters worked. Looks like.

Either that or you have one of those magical thumbs that can make sticks bloom.
It's actually a hydroponic garden (no dirt...everything grows in water), so all I have to do is add the liquid fertilizer that comes with the seed kit.  So far I've grown mostly herbs.  Basil, thyme, dill, tarragon, chives, and lemon basil (yum!)  This is my first time with vegies!  You can get larger Aerogardens and even grow tomato plants inside!
That's really cool! We would never be able to keep anything outside during the winter around here though.
Well, that's how we are here in the summer! 
  By May, it's actually too hot to grow much of anything (at least tomatoes)
Nope ours would be buried under the snow

Your Winter gardens look amazing!
Thank you!  Can't wait to have a spinach salad and cook my first (ever) batch of Swiss Chard.  I'm thinking that may happen tomorrow night, since I've got girls night out tonight.
Your pictures are lovely! This morning, it was 26 degrees here with lots of frost. And you're growing tomatoes! Love the aerogarden!

(I have your garlic keeper on my kitchen counter.)
Well...I have a tomato plant!  No tomatoes on it yet, but I'm hoping
. (I LOVE my garlic keeper...actually have 3.  The other 2 just didn't make it into the picture 'cause they're on the other side of my pasta jars.  My folks grow garlic in their yard, so they keep me supplied! 
That Aerogarden looks like a great idea. And I can't believe you're growing tomatoes outside in winter! Wow, what a difference down south.
Yes, I just love the Aerogarden.  Wish I had more room so I could have more of them.
Fresh tomatoes in winter!  That would be so nice!  Bravo for your winter garden! 
We have a little greenhouse window in our outbuilding (aka DH's man cave).  I've tried to start tomato seeds there, only to have them burn up when the sprout.  Guess it's too much sun in the spring.
As I said to Winchester, I don't exactly have tomatoes yet...just a plant.  Am HOPING to have fresh tomatoes!!  And I know just what you mean about plants burning when in a greenhouse window.  I've had to same thing happen to me here, in the very early spring.  I think you have to have a true greenhouse!