My vet is making a house call to my house today

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I missed the good luck vibes, but am hoping all went well.

I would love to do the home visits. I have one that is so terrified of people he literally tried to jumped through a shut window when the vet tech walked in. Poor sweet boy.

Hopefully everyone was on their best behavior....or at least not their worst!

Please let us know how it went when you can.

And stay safe in that ice storm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You won't believe this, but it's 10PM and the vet just left. When the exams were over, I asked her if she'd like something to drink. She said Bourbon and 7-Up? I said sorry, no Bourbon but what else do you like? So she stayed for 3 beers, and because she was getting drunk, I fed her dinner to sober her back up. We had a very good chat about a lot of topics, and at one point, she told me that it didn't seem like we had 3 dogs and 10 cats around the house because things were so quiet.

But back to the exams.

Stumpy's stomatitis is slightly inflamed on the right side of his mouth. He got the 2 week antibiotic shot. He's gained weight over the last year (that is a very good thing). He needs to go in for a geriatric profile soon.

Scarlett and Muddy gained a little bit of weight.

Muddy and Koko have great teeth.

Spanky, Bob and Oscar all need dentals. Oscar has a cavity.

Pinky's rodent ulcer was slightly inflamed, so he got a depo and antibiotic shot.

Lucky and Oscar both did pretty good once I got my hands on them and on the "exam" table (the dining room table). Oscar didn't even pee from fear!

Spanky and Pinky did OK, although Pinky hid for a while, but once on the table, he was a very good boy. The only one that laid on the scale.

Then there was Eightball. Oh, my problem child! I cornered him in my sewing room to carry him to the table. His heart was pounding so fast and hard that even the vet was concerned. We couldn't weigh him, but it's obvious that he's lost more weight from last year. He struggled the entire time and she got his vaccinations in him but no real exam. So he goes in for a geriatric profile, and they'll knock him out to do a full exam. She's guessing either kidney or thyroid problems due to his weight loss. 4 years ago he was 13 pounds, last year he was just shy of 10 pounds, and we're guessing he's down to 8 pounds. If it's thyroid, there is a 1 time treatment that is 97% effective for life. If it's CRF, he is too wild to administer sub-q's so I'm hoping its not that.

But here is what I learned from the experience: that my calm, friendly cats didn't like to be poked and prodded inside their own turf. Stumpy kept growing at her and tried to scratch her. Koko, Muddy and Scarlett struggled the entire time to get away. And none of them (other than Pinky) wanted anything to do with the scale that she brought with her.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your post cracked me up - after all that I hope YOU TOO had a drink!!!
It sounds like you had quite the experience!
I am glad all is fine, and hope nothing is serious with eightball!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Eightball and Stumpy are going into the vet this afternoon for their geriatric blood work. This is something that she doesn't do at the house. And not a moment too soon. Eightball has been vomiting a lot in the last 24 hours, which is not typical of him at all. The vet has already been warned that I'll arrive when I can catch him, and to have the sedatives ready for when we walk in the door.

Stumpy will be annoyed but fine. He's been on steroids for 2 years and just needs to have his blood levels tested.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I just caught up with the past week of this thread. So your cats actually drove your vet to drink?

And for today...caaaaaalming vibes for Eightball and Stumpy. And you!