My Two Year Old Male Cat Surprised Me Today

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't think my cat had it in him (neutered, weighs a slim 8.5 lbs, and timid) to stand up to other male cats. He surprised me today, when I saw him running super fast over to our bushes and stop like he had something cornered. It turned out he had another cat cornered (the other cat was able to get away when my cat was distracted). My Dad said that he saw Felix chase a cat out of our yard earlier as well. Also, I saw a wet patch on our fence that could have been from a sprinkler (but my guess would be spraying). I went out and gave him an quick onceover, and he does not appear to have any injuries.

I'm not sure what this means for his future as an indoor outdoor cat. On one hand, I'm happy that he can stand up for himself, as I'm guessing that makes him less likely to be a target. On the other hand, I don't want it creating problems for us (cats spraying outside is not an issue although I'd prefer that doesn't happen, but spraying inside for territorial marking purposes would be). Also, since he is a possibly stressy cat (history of urinary blockage, and the vet found no evidence of infection), I wouldn't want territorial spats with other cats to be stressing him out.

I don't think I could convert him to an indoor cat, but if he needs a different living situation, I would be willing to talk to the shelter I got him from about fostering him with the goal of coming up with a better situation for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I think a catio might be a good idea. I can check with my dad to see if he is willing to help me build one.

I will keep the article in mind if I do decide that he has to be an indoor cat. I suppose I was wanting it both ways (all the possible exercise/enrichment benefits of being outside without the problems). In reality, that may not be possible.

Last edited: