My Sweet Girl Passed Away Yesterday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys again for all the kind words! ❤

It has been 4 days since she passed and I do feel a bit better. The shock of her loss really hit me hard the first 2 days but I'm slowly accepting that she is no longer with me physically. I feel like she is spiritually though and that is a comfort.

Also, my fiance, friends and boss have been very understanding to my grieving so that has helped a lot. I live on the other side of the country from my family so I am going home in a few weeks to spend time there to meet my new nephew and collect some videos that my dad has of Paprika.

I feel that once I get her ashes back it might somehow help because I will feel that she is home even if she can't meow or purr at me. Even if it is just her remains, I think it will help.

I reached out to a shelter volunteering group that I used to help out with in my town so I am going to start doing that again. So, I can take care of some kitties until I am able to adopt again. I had stopped because of my cat becoming so ill. Any extra time I had was spent with her because I didn't know how long I had left with her.

Thanks again to you all! I'm glad there are forums like these were us cat lovers can come together for our precious kitties

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry : (
It hurts so much. It sucks to go through the grieving process but it sounds likw you have the right supports in place.
It hurts but not always as bad. It will be up and down. Take food care of yourself.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry : (
It hurts so much. It sucks to go through the grieving process but it sounds likw you have the right supports in place.
It hurts but not always as bad. It will be up and down. Take food care of yourself.
Lol. Good. Not food

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol. Good. Not food
Hahah well food does help too ...

My fiance and I actually went to get donuts at one of my favorite donut shops in my town after it happened. And then we pretty much ate comfort food for the rest of that weekend. It didn't bring kitty back but it did help me feel a little better...

I notice if I'm at home alone that I start to really get sad and cry at random. I have tried to be busy more than usual and not come straight home after work. I still really miss her... Crazy how much of a hole a little 5 pound cat can leave! I was playing with my fiance's parent's cats this weekend.. it was nice to be around some kitties but they were not Paprika of course... I started to wonder how long it will take me to make a bond with a kitty again. I know some people adopt straight away and others wait months or more. I definitely feel like it will be some time before I can adopt again. My cat was so special to me ❤:tabbycat:❤

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost Paprika. Of course it's going to feel strange not having her around after having her in your life for so long. Keeping busy is a good way to deal with the loss, but allow yourself to sit down and have a good cry too. It really does help to wash away some of the sadness.

Rest In peace Paprika, you were a very special girl and you won't be forgotten.

Artscats

Georgie Boy
Young Cat
Purraise
Paprika......what a cute name for a cute cat. I'm sure you have a story how she got her name? I think that's one thing that brings them close to us. Special names for special friends. How did you name her?

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahah well food does help too ...

My fiance and I actually went to get donuts at one of my favorite donut shops in my town after it happened. And then we pretty much ate comfort food for the rest of that weekend. It didn't bring kitty back but it did help me feel a little better...

I notice if I'm at home alone that I start to really get sad and cry at random. I have tried to be busy more than usual and not come straight home after work. I still really miss her... Crazy how much of a hole a little 5 pound cat can leave! I was playing with my fiance's parent's cats this weekend.. it was nice to be around some kitties but they were not Paprika of course... I started to wonder how long it will take me to make a bond with a kitty again. I know some people adopt straight away and others wait months or more. I definitely feel like it will be some time before I can adopt again. My cat was so special to me ❤:tabbycat:❤

Lol. Yes, no dietary restrictions while grieving.
Same with me, if I don't distract myself, I get upset. It has been 3 months since I put down my boy and last night it hit me hard. I was away for a week and the old routine was to go on vacation, come back, and pick up Herman from boarding the next day.
I keep comparing the kitty I adopted last month to Herman. It probably isn't healthy for me to do that. Like you understand, it seems, it is that one special pet. I don't think I will ever bond with an animal like I did with Herman.
I think it was because I got him as my first pet as an adult in my early twenties and so many significant ups and downs occurred until I lost him 14 years later. Through the best and worst, he was there. My constant buddy.
It is just a piece of your heart that is gone.
Sorry for the totally not upbeat response. It just sucks. Comedy, music and talking to others who "get it", helps me.

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Paprika......what a cute name for a cute cat. I'm sure you have a story how she got her name? I think that's one thing that brings them close to us. Special names for special friends. How did you name her?
Well, it's a funny story. My sister, who is 3 years older than me, went off to college. She was living with 3 other girls in a four flat. They all decided to each adopt a kitten from the local shelter. However, they were not the most responsible girls and everyone ended up flunking out after their first semester.

Unfortunately, the 3 other kittens ended up passing away due to malnutrition or illness. My sister moved back home over the winter break and brought her sick kitten with her who was only 3 months old. She was calling her Jade at the time.

Because my sister was sad and feeling down on herself, she ignored the kitten. I started taking care of her and nursed her back to health. She would follow me everywhere and so I decided that she was mine. And apparently she decided I was her human too. I didn't think the name Jade suited her so I started thinking of other names that would go along with her silly personality. And one day my dad who has an accent started saying Paprika really funny. For some reason it just rang a bell and from then on we all started calling her Paprika.

At first my parents didn't want Paprika to stay at the house but Paprika was smart. One day my dad had fallen asleep on the couch and she crawled up his chest and snuggled into the crook of his neck. We heard him wake up and say "awwww." She had won him over with her cuteness.

She was a very special girl who is missed by everyone who knew her. Whenever my friends come over they too instinctively look for her, but quickly remember she isn't there.

I still deeply miss her and know that it will never really go away. The vet received her ashes finally from the crematorium but I unfortunately wontw be able to go pick them up for a few more days. It will be nice to have her reamins here where they belong at home.

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol. Yes, no dietary restrictions while grieving.
Same with me, if I don't distract myself, I get upset. It has been 3 months since I put down my boy and last night it hit me hard. I was away for a week and the old routine was to go on vacation, come back, and pick up Herman from boarding the next day.
I keep comparing the kitty I adopted last month to Herman. It probably isn't healthy for me to do that. Like you understand, it seems, it is that one special pet. I don't think I will ever bond with an animal like I did with Herman.
I think it was because I got him as my first pet as an adult in my early twenties and so many significant ups and downs occurred until I lost him 14 years later. Through the best and worst, he was there. My constant buddy.
It is just a piece of your heart that is gone.
Sorry for the totally not upbeat response. It just sucks. Comedy, music and talking to others who "get it", helps me.
Yeah, they become so intrigal to your life that when they're gone you almost don't know how to fill up the times that you usually would spend with them. For example, a little while ago I was sitting on my bed reading and look over to the side of the bed expecting kitty to be there. She would always hop up and join me. It's hard to get used to their absence.

I definitely am waiting a while until I find that right cat or dog again that I can bond with. My first 2 dogs I definitely did not feel the connection that I felt with my cat. Sometimes I wonder if I ever will find that again... We just got each other.

I remember after I picked her up from the vet the last time when they gave me the bad news. She went to her couch where she spent most of her last few days. So, I picked her up and held her in my lap while we sat there. She started to squirm away at first and then it was almost like she got it and just laid there. I was crying like crazy wishing there was more I could do for her but I knew it was time. And she laid her head on my arm as if almost to say it's ok. Then, in the room when the vet gave her the last injection, she gave us some time with her. I told her I would miss her but she didn't need to suffer anymore. And for some reason, at that moment, I knew she was gone and that she was no longer in pain. Her little soul went off and is now free from her sick little body. She is so dearly missed...

Artscats

Georgie Boy
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it's a funny story. My sister, who is 3 years older than me, went off to college. She was living with 3 other girls in a four flat. They all decided to each adopt a kitten from the local shelter. However, they were not the most responsible girls and everyone ended up flunking out after their first semester.

Unfortunately, the 3 other kittens ended up passing away due to malnutrition or illness. My sister moved back home over the winter break and brought her sick kitten with her who was only 3 months old. She was calling her Jade at the time.

Because my sister was sad and feeling down on herself, she ignored the kitten. I started taking care of her and nursed her back to health. She would follow me everywhere and so I decided that she was mine. And apparently she decided I was her human too. I didn't think the name Jade suited her so I started thinking of other names that would go along with her silly personality. And one day my dad who has an accent started saying Paprika really funny. For some reason it just rang a bell and from then on we all started calling her Paprika.

At first my parents didn't want Paprika to stay at the house but Paprika was smart. One day my dad had fallen asleep on the couch and she crawled up his chest and snuggled into the crook of his neck. We heard him wake up and say "awwww." She had won him over with her cuteness.

She was a very special girl who is missed by everyone who knew her. Whenever my friends come over they too instinctively look for her, but quickly remember she isn't there.

I still deeply miss her and know that it will never really go away. The vet received her ashes finally from the crematorium but I unfortunately wontw be able to go pick them up for a few more days. It will be nice to have her reamins here where they belong at home.
Now THAT'S how a great friend gets a great name. Thank you for telling us more about her. It's funny how something in your gut will tell you that's not who she is. But when their personalities start to bloom then you get a hint that leads you to the right name. And I know, for a fact, that when they get the right name they know it and they respond to it and it has nothing to do with food. She was Paprika. And like favorite toys or favorite blankets they like their special names too. I'm sure you made her very happy with her special name.