My sweet Domino

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dominotribute.JPG dominosleep.jpg

I adopted Domino 4/20/14. He'd had a rough start in life, and got trapped by his rescuer in Sept of 2012 at an approximate age of 4-5 months, so we just treated his "gotcha day" as his birthday, about as close to right as we could get. When he was caught, he had a spiral fracture of one his hind legs (left), so had to go in for immediate surgery but they could not fully fix the damage as he also had small fractures in the hips with a growth plate involved. So Domino ran with kind of a funny gallop. Of course, once he was at the rescue and recovered from the surgery he had a decent life. Then he came to live with me (and a few other cats that I adopted from the same rescue--his likely littermate, TV; his likely mother, Autumn; and Circe (who passed away 6/28 this year), to live the good life.

All was good for years. Three years ago, when I adopted Jemmy and Leo from outdoors, he was delighted and started playing with them like a cat who was much younger than his actual age (then 8--he acted like he was 3-4 years old). He taught them a lot about how to cat as indoor cats (instead of the ferals they had been born as).

Then after a period of time when he was having rapid weight loss and diarrhea and vomiting, after a number of tests, we learned he had GI lymphoma. At his last vet visit in January this year, this fellow who had been 14.5 pounds in his prime, slimmed to 11 over the years after he turned 8 and upped his activity with the boys had dropped to 6 pounds. We were planning to make the call Monday. Yesterday, though, his hind legs started to collapse under him from time to time. At the evening feeding, when I offered him Pandora's leftover wet food from morning (I always did this--he would finish off whatever she'd left of her wet food from the prior feeding--she also gets dry food and is just seeming to get the idea that wet food is good), he didn't stir and it was like it was too difficult to stand and eat, though he would lick it when I pinched a tiny bit and put it against his lips. So my son and I went to the emergency vet since we were now well after hours on a weekend--son drove, I held Domino the whole way. I just wrapped him in a towel and held him. He always hated the crate, and if he were going to die on the way, I wanted it to be in my arms and not a crate. He was still alive when we reached the vet, and we helped him over the bridge there.

This has just been such a sucky few months. First Circe on 6/28, and in the morning when my son was going to take her body to the vet for cremation, he found that someone had tried to steal his car and wrecked the ignition switch. It took something like 2.5 weeks for him to get the car back. Then on 8/6, my father passed away very suddenly (he'd had a fall 24 hours before his death and hit his head; he was on blood thinners for a-fib, and although he was fine at the time and passed all the assessments by the EMTs and declined to go to the hospital then, 12 hours later, he had the first sign that all wasn't well, and 12 hours after that he was gone--Dad was 79). Then on Labor Day, my son was going to go to the grocery to get some snack foods when he found that locking the car only meant that the people broke out a window and attempted to steal his car again (it's a Kia Soul, although not in the years that that **** TikTok challenge involves). It is still in the shop, although this time the ignition switch wasn't totally wrecked and he was able to drive it to the dealer instead of another tow. And then, even though I knew it was coming, Domino had to go.

Good night, my sweet Domino boy who was so sweet they named a brand of sugar after you.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no, you are having such a tough time right now. That's a lot of losses in a short amount of time. :hugs:

I'm very sorry about Domino, he was a beautiful little kitty. Rest in peace now, sweet boy. :rbheart:

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see that you've been going through some really difficult times during the few past months. I guess it is the distress coming from things happening unexpectedly, but in a relatively short time span. I am sorry about your father and about Circe. I am sure things will get better for you. We continue living our lives, as that's what our loved ones always wanted us to do. So, take your time and it will be okay.

Circe and Domino were both lovely cats and there was love as you took care of them as if they were your own kids. You gave them a beautiful life and they loved you back, before they went to join your father in heaven. I am sure they rejoiced that they are together. So, may they all rest in peace. Love.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the old saying, bad things always come in threes.....so hopefully this is your last. It has been a hard year for you, please keep busy with your remaining little ones, and remember, love is spiritual, so eternal, and all three are with you always. Their love will be a permanent part of your soul, the paths they are now following will always parallel your own.
Sweet, sweet Domino. What a beautiful little soul. Taking your other kitties under his wing and showing them the art of being a cat. He had a rough start it sounds like, but thank goodness you took him into your loving home and gave him the chance to blossom and know what love is like. He gave you one of the most precious gifts in this world, a cat's love. Something that is earned and not given lightly. Please cherish all the wonderful memories you made over all those years, and use them to banish those of his end. He would want it that way, just as you would want him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants no less. try to remember, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happenened."
My heart goes out to you, you have been through much. I will say a prayer for all of those who you have lost this year, i know they rest easy because they have your love in their hearts. Please accept my sincere condolences........RIP precious Domino. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentIe, Domino, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

You have now had to do the hardest thing that is ever asked of us, to put aside our own heartbreak and heIp a beIoved cat across the Bridge. This I am sure of....Domino Iived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your Iove. He Ieft this Adventure with your Iove beside him to guide his way. This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Domino blesses you, and he sends his Love back to walk beside you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides.