My step-daughter and her cats (rant)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would spay them immediately, without a word to her... it's the right thing for the cats. But please, don't even think of putting them to sleep! None of this is their fault!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Pami, LDG, Yosemite and CarolPetunia- your step-daughter is doing more harm than good to these cats, and shouldn't have them- have them spayed and try rehoming them.

It's a lousy situation but just because she's your step-daughter, it's your house and you and her father need to make a decision and stand by it, one in the cats' favors!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I would spay them immediately, without a word to her... it's the right thing for the cats.
if you can find an affordable place, just do it. then, assuming you'll need to rehome them [leopards don't change their spots, after all
] it'll be much easier.

don't know about your DH, but my dad is a major rescuer. if/when one of us is in trouble [financial or otherwise], he just wants to 'make it right' regardless of whether that's the best thing for the child involved.

it's probably a good thing he's not made of money, or none of us would've learned anything in that area. 2 of us aren't that good anyway [i'm one of them]. i've even heard my mom explain to him that sometimes 'fixing it' isn't always the best choice...

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

This is exactly what I would do too. I couldn't take them to a shelter. I would get them fixed and rehome them. It's not the cats fault they are stuck in this situation.

Have them spayed and try to rehome them through a rescue.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the sounds of it she isn't grown up enough or responsible enough to care for herself, let alone 2 helpless cats that rely on their owner for their food, water, love and cleanliness.

If it were me I'd refuse to give them back and instead either keep them myself or go ahead and adopt them out to families that will actually love and care for them. Either way I'd go and get the fixed first. But I would NOT let her have them back. She is neglectful and that is considered abuse. Those poor cats deserve much better than she has been giving them.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How very sad

I have also seen people say they are pet lovers then they do things that aren't very loving. I am just glad the cats are in your care.

Since you cannot keep them I would alter the cats at the vet ASAP, if you are low on funds find a low cost clinic. Then I would try to work with a rescue organization that is no kill. You can keep the cats at your home, as a foster home.