My sister averages two months of sick days a year

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

And you're prejudging when you simply do not know.
She is prejudging as much as anyone else is by GUESSING. She didn't say that was the cause, she said it's possible. Noone really knows what's up with the OP sister, and in these threads a lot of people try and speculate because that is human nature. No big deal that she said it's "possible" she is a hypochondriac.

Give the negativity and pointing fingers a rest would ya?

To the OP, that is a shame about your sister. Does she like her job? Is it possible that she doesn't really like it and is stressing herself out to the point of getting sick? My sister was kind of like that when she was working in an office.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by madara

I'm abit concerned about my sister. She is beautician and always seems to be sick. I dont know what advice to give her besides really make sure she uses that hand lotion after every person as preventative measure. Alot of throat issues. Some really odd stuff like green growths in the back of the throat they weren't sure about. Leg and hand issues, shingles,etc. Her work is really getting mad at her and I fear she is going to lose her job but she starts crying and says its way too painful to just suck it up and work like her bosses say. She is only 32. I told her start getting documentation in a file encase she has to prove her issues someday if this keeps up.
I agree some of it may be from the chemicals used in saloons. Breathing those fumes can't be good for you. If she hasn't already she should go to an ears/nose/throat doctor about the fungus. A friend of mine recently was diagnosed with extreme thrush that caused nodules on her vocal cords and required surgery. She went for over a year with reaccuring sore throats and her primary doctor couldn't find a cause and finally referred her. She was off work for almost 4 months recovering from surgery.

Shingles are VERY painful from what I understand (I'm been very lucky to never had the experience...knock on wood). And stress definitely makes it worse.

I agree with the person that posted about her being happy in her job. She can love being a beautician but may not get along with her co-workers or management and that causes even more stress which cause even more health issues and lowers the immune system. It's an evil cycle.

Bottom line is she has to go to doctors to get to the bottom of everything and at least get some kind of cause...whether it be chemicals, sciatic nerve or whatever is causing her leg problems. See if she can get FMLA with that company. That is the only way I kept my job with my back problems. Legally, if you call off using FMLA, they can't fire you for missing work (although it can be reflected in your annual evaluations and raises). I hope she figures out what is wrong soon.