My pregnant cats belly disappeared please help

Myla1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long post but I’m just upset and not sure what to do.

My cat is over a year old and pregnant. Not confirmed by the vet but is showing all symptoms. Eating a lot, enlarged pink nipples, big round belly, and also I could feel them moving in her belly.

Saturday night (yesterday) me and my partner went to the cinema and my mum left our backyard door open and the cat got outside. She was gone for about 3 hours before she came back and straight away we noticed that her belly seemed MUCH smaller.

We think she may have given birth outside? but IF she did wouldn’t she want to be with her kittens or bring them home?

Since she came back last night she doesn’t really want to go outside, so we’re thinking she gave birth to d3ad kittens and ate them? She doesn’t have the instinct and doesn’t care about them?

It’s like I’m just baffled. Don’t know what to think. Should I keep her home? take her bedding outside? (in the shed) I’m just so confused and also upset as I was really looking forward to seeing all the kittens arrive and now I don’t even know if she’s had them or where she’s had them or what ;(

I have looked everywhere I could think of.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am by no means an expert, but she could have had them someplace you haven't looked since she was outside and may have chosen another location than what you think. If she is not interested in going outside, then it could be that they were stillborn. No reason to automatically think she ate them - so continue to look for their bodies. Some cats do not have that motherly instinct so they could theoretically be out there somewhere. I would take her to a vet to have her checked out nonetheless.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am by no means that well informed about pregnancy and birth, but have had numerous ferals who had litters. I do see your reasoning that she gave birth and that something has happened or gone wrong. As such I am not sure what the best strategy.

Do you live in an area where you can easily search for the kittens?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Myla1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am by no means an expert, but she could have had them someplace you haven't looked since she was outside and may have chosen another location than what you think. If she is not interested in going outside, then it could be that they were stillborn. No reason to automatically think she ate them - so continue to look for their bodies. Some cats do not have that motherly instinct so they could theoretically be out there somewhere. I would take her to a vet to have her checked out nonetheless.
I only have a small shed in my garden and they’re definitely not inside, I tried to check under it but couldn’t see or hear anything. Anyway, I’ll be ringing the vet tomorrow to get her checked, but I think there’s nothing I can do anymore. I just checked her nipples, they used to be big and really pink lately and now they seem to be back to normal :(

Myla1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am by no means that well informed about pregnancy and birth, but have had numerous ferals who had litters. I do see your reasoning that she gave birth and that something has happened or gone wrong. As such I am not sure what the best strategy is.

Do you live in an area where you can easily search for the kittens?
Just a shed in the garden but definitely not there. Tried to see if there under it but no luck. Her nipples also seem to back to normal? ;(

Last edited by a moderator:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very possible she aborted them unfortunately. Hopefully the vet can tell you if she's pregnant or not and if not get her spayed asap.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should take her to the vet for an exam. Talk to the vet and go from there. Look around and see if you hear or see any kittens. Is this her first litter? How old is she?

Myla1994

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should take her to the vet for an exam. Talk to the vet and go from there. Look around and see if you hear or see any kittens. Is this her first litter? How old is she?
I’ll be ringing the vet first thing in the morning. She’s about 15 months, and yeah, first litter. I was thinking maybe the kittens are in the birth canal hence she’s not that wide anymore? But then why do her nipples seem to be back to normal?