My Outdoors Cat Must Stay Inside Now

LapisLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been living in my current apartment since November 2012 and I got a kitten, Abi, in March 2013. She has been going outside at will to use the bathroom or for any other reason since then but recently the apartment changed their rules regarding cats and they now require that Abi stay inside 24/7 or I will be evicted. At first it was raining outside for almost a week and she was very happy, but for the past two days she has been crying constantly, running to the patio door and scratching at it. She has been hiding in my closet and refusing to eat. At one point the patio door was left open and she scratched a hole in the screen door and escaped, but now the patio door always stays closed and I have signs on every exit warning people to not let the cat out. What can I do to help her adjust?

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing re: the crying afaik. Just ignore her and eventually she'll get over it. Could take weeks though.

If you have a litter box problem, you could try locking her in a bathroom for 2 days with a box. Harsh, but it was suggested to me, and we did in fact do that to retrain cat before we went away on vacation. It did not entirely work for us, but may have helped. Another suggestion I got was to add a layer of dirt in the box. Which did not seem to help at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LapisLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

LapisLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing re: the crying afaik. Just ignore her and eventually she'll get over it. Could take weeks though.

If you have a litter box problem, you could try locking her in a bathroom for 2 days with a box. Harsh, but it was suggested to me, and we did in fact do that to retrain cat before we went away on vacation. It did not entirely work for us, but may have helped. Another suggestion I got was to add a layer of dirt in the box. Which did not seem to help at all.
She hasn't eaten or used the litter box in three days, but she is fully trained in using it.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
3 days of no food? Try giving her some canned food and toppers like freeze dried Bonita flakes. Cat grass. Video with birds. Some cats don't like being left in pitch dark in a new place.

LapisLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 days of no food? Try giving her some canned food and toppers like freeze dried Bonita flakes. Cat grass. Video with birds. Some cats don't like being left in pitch dark in a new place.
I put wet food on top of the dry food and she ate it just now! Her incessant crying is becoming slightly less incessant now and a little less frantic. She is also out of the closet.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news! He is adjusting fast. I also use shipping trash. My cats play hide and seek in it

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's beautiful. :catlove: Glad she's come out of hiding.

I missed the fact that she wasn't eating in your first post, or I would have addressed it right away. It can be dangerous for cats not to eat, so 3 days is worrisome. Did she eat a normal amount today? And did she eat anything at all over the 3 days?

LapisLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's beautiful. :catlove: Glad she's come out of hiding. I missed the fact that she wasn't eating in your first post, or I would have addressed it right away. It can be dangerous for cats not to eat, so 3 days is worrisome. Did she eat a normal amount today? And did she eat anything at all over the 3 days?
I think she may have nibbled on the first two days and ate a normal amount on day three which is today. She is laying on a soft rug in the main bathroom now and seems to have stopped crying so I am much more optimistic.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't want to worry you, but did want to mention it. If she was nibbling, and ate today, then she is probably fine.

Here's an article with more info, in case you want to read it. And if you have any concerns, definitely consult with your vet.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?