My New Kitten Fell In The Toilet, Do I Need To Wash Her

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, yeah, laugh it up guys :)

We got her on Saturday and she's been locked in the bathroom. We keep the toilet cover down just in case she jumps up, but today my kid used the toilet and left the cover up after flushing. Next time I went in, everything around the toilet was wet, and Nova was sulking her carrier, so we can only surmise she went to jump up on the covered toilet and found a big hole instead.

We keep the toilet relatively clean, but still, yuck! Are cats good enough at cleaning themselves or should I bathe her? Not sure how well she'd appreciate that...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as it was flushed she will be OK. A new kitten will be traumatised by a bath. They have pet wet wipes too for times like this. You are so lucky, I had a baby squirrel that drowned in an open toilet, it is just too slippery for them to grip to jump. She is extremely lucky to have gotten out. Dry her with a towel, give her lots of love, and remember, you just gained knowledge on how children should always be supervised when around a tiny baby. They are not mature enough to realize the consequences of their actions, they do not understand death, that something like this, or losing their grip when holding them, or placing them in airtight spaces, or slamming a door without looking (although most children don't bother even closing doors! :) ) can bring about losing that pet. Thank you for letting that child learn the love of pets, it is a special part of childhood, and teaches empathy and responsibility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no, sorry about your baby squirrel. Yeah, i'm thinking about putting up a piece of paper with a reminder to shut the lid!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, sorry about your baby squirrel. Yeah, i'm thinking about putting up a piece of paper with a reminder to shut the lid!
That may be a good idea! Or get a picture on the internet of an extremely wet kitten, or one in the toilet and hang that on the tank!
A piece of paper won't last long at all. ;)

Just as an aside, my aunt had 4 boys and they were always leaving the toilet lid up. She had to paint a down arrow on the interior of the lid, pointing to the toilet bowl, to remind them to close the lid each time.
lol.

You could try that - then purchase a new toilet lid once the kitten grows up in a few years and your kid is "trained"!
:p

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I got cats, I have to put signs up everywhere! And that's for adults, not kids. :D