My Lovable Cat Is Sad And Sulking About Kitten

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CDBF237F-C240-4F06-BC8D-3D55CBB6BFBF.jpeg
So I have been taking care of this sweet little orphan kitten since she was 3wks old she is now 9wks. Initially, I was just going to get her healthy and to the proper age to be re-homed. But as you can guess I have gotten so attached this beautiful odd eyed white kitten that I named penny. The problem is, I own 2 boys they are my babies one is 2 and the other just turned 8 in December. They have both known penny has been on our third floor since we brought her home and they are very familiar with her scent and they were ok with me going up there all day long as long and they didn’t have to be around her. So the past few days I have been letting penny interact through the door and the 2 year old is fine and quite excited he is always at her door leading upstairs waiting for her. The 8yr old was hissing and growling. Now I should probably tell you he is my sidekick he is the one that always cuddles with me at night and every chance he can. He has always been my “special one” even though I love my other boy just as much, the bond between him and I is something else though. So I continued the door for a few days then I started letting her on the 2nd floor of the house for 20 min at a time supervised of course. Church(my 2yr old) loves it. It’s like a live toy for him. MooMoo just hisses and growls but doesn’t attack or even show any threatening signs other than that. In fact if it weren’t for that you would think he is relaxed. So I noticed now he is avoiding me almost pouting and won’t purr or lay with me. My moomoo is so sweet and for him to act like this is breaking my heart. Should I not even try to incorporate her into our family even though I am all she knows and I know I can give her a great and very spoiled life. It would also break my heart to have to re-home her. Is a third cat too hard to incorporate? When I brought church home two years ago moo moos brother had passed away a month before so he wasn’t adjusting well being a single cat he is a beta so that’s why I think it wasn’t hard to incorporate Him.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only speak from my personal experience of the last 20 months or so - I had 1 cat, Hobo, ~9yo male, and we were very happy together. He would sleep on my chest, purred all the time, etc, but would become very aggressive if he saw a cat outside. Then Dory and her two kittens showed up at my door, and I couldn't resist them. They soon moved in, and Hobo reacted very much like MooMoo - not exactly aggressive, but hissing/growling/pouting at the new arrivals, especially the very energetic kitty, Blue.

Today Hobo's life, and our relationship, are a bit different. He's more active, he often engages in chase play with the other cats. And still gets irritated and resorts to hissing/growling/swatting (but no fights). Other times, I catch him cuddling up with Blue, or sharing my bed with the others. But he pretty much never curls up on on my chest/lap anymore. Does that mean he is unhappy? I don't believe so...I think his social circle is just larger now. (And he still loves to lay in front of my keyboard!

So my answer to your main question ("is a third cat too hard to incorporate?") is no, it isn't too hard. That Church and Penny get along is great - it means that MooMoo shouldn't have to engage if he doesn't want to. Toys, patience, love, and feeding rituals will help all to coexist, it just takes time. And beware that you and MooMoo may not have exactly the same relationship you had before, but his life can still be very happy and fulfilling!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I had a double organ transplant 5 years ago and when that happened I never returned to work. As you can imagine MooMoo was my transplant buddy he never left my side so our bond is very special and it would kill me to know that would change. As for him being active, he is very. He and church are always running and play fighting and I don’t want him to be left out since I had noticed church is consumed by the new kitty when she is down stairs. Also, church is more like my husbands buddy that I can say. He loves me but when it comes to my hubby it’s all church. Lol. So the balance does work very well especially at night church is on my hubbys lap and MooMoo on mine. But I also can’t bear to think of penny not being here. I would wonder all the time is she being taken care of like how I would be taking care of her. Also, I think about MooMoo’s age and I know he has a long life ahead of him still. But when something does happen to him church will have a friend that is close in age to him. I thinking that way.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 that were brought into my home at different times, and different ages. Some hit it off immediately, some took months, or even a year or two to really warm up to each other. They are cats and they will do what they will, in their own time :) mine will still spat at each other, but very short lived, and not very often. sometimes they cuddle, sometimes they play, and sometimes they each need private time. but everyone gets along, and i would hate not to have them all together now. I do try to make sure everyone gets individual attention, grooming and play time, and cuddle time, if they want it. I let them set the pace with what they need, and i try to provide it :) Enjoy your babies

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I had a double organ transplant 5 years ago and when that happened I never returned to work. As you can imagine MooMoo was my transplant buddy he never left my side so our bond is very special and it would kill me to know that would change. As for him being active, he is very. He and church are always running and play fighting and I don’t want him to be left out since I had noticed church is consumed by the new kitty when she is down stairs. Also, church is more like my husbands buddy that I can say. He loves me but when it comes to my hubby it’s all church. Lol. So the balance does work very well especially at night church is on my hubbys lap and MooMoo on mine. But I also can’t bear to think of penny not being here. I would wonder all the time is she being taken care of like how I would be taking care of her. Also, I think about MooMoo’s age and I know he has a long life ahead of him still. But when something does happen to him church will have a friend that is close in age to him. I thinking that way.
by the way, she sure is cute, i wouldn't be able to re home her either :)

Janey Hay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having the same issue with my 31/2 year old Ragdoll/Burmese cross. Not at all impressed with our new arrival! No fighting but Smudge is noticeably stresssed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erickins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am having the same issue with my 31/2 year old Ragdoll/Burmese cross. Not at all impressed with our new arrival! No fighting but Smudge is noticeably stresssed.
I hear ya! I think it may be stressing me out just as much if not more watching him sulk and snub me.