My Little Boy

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guess I'll get this out so I can feel better. Just tattoo'd his name on my arm too. anyhoo......

I had an orange tabby. His name was Tango and he was only six. Adopted him when he was a few months old. We bonded real fast. Always been a dog person but cats grow on you, especially this guy. He was always so happy and NEVER did anything bad. He would almost always greet me after work and lots of times see me off. He was so talkative. He would chirp, chat, make whirring sounds. Anyway I found a small lump between his shoulder blades a few months ago. I thought it was just a cyst. A few weeks later I could see it had grown so took him to the vet. He gave me the bad news as soon as he saw it. Was a fibro sarcoma most probably caused by one of his vaccinations. Told me it was a very aggressive tumor. He said he could operate but he wouldn’t be able to get clear margins since it was between the shoulder blades and already attached to the bones. I asked him how long and he told me 3 months or so. Then the tears shot out of my eyes. So I took him home to give him lots of ‘loving’ time.

He was fine for a couple months but the tumor was growing and he was uncomfortable. He started hiding a lot but he came when I called (indoor/outdoor cat). Was eating o.k. but was losing some weight. Was staying away from our other cats. Probably protecting himself from getting hurt by rough playing. The only cat he tolerated being around was his brother that we adopted a few weeks after him. The other cats sensed there was something wrong and were pretty nice to him. One day I saw him by himself drinking from a fountain out back. In just a couple days he looked very disheveled and slow. I walked over and picked him up and took him to the master bedroom which was now his new living quarters. Cat box, food and water in the bathroom.

He liked it pretty well but he always used to spend most of his time outdoors and I knew he missed it big time. Then he started hiding in the linen closet or the bathtub all the time. So it was time to keep the other cats out of there except his little bro. I would call him to the bed and after a few times that was pretty much where he stayed except to eat and use his box. We started giving him chopped clams and tuna to try to keep his weight up. Slowed the weight loss but not much. And he didn’t really seem in pain but he was uncomfortable. I think that’s why he took to the bed so quick. We lay there watching tv and he would lay on a tee shirt next to me and snuggle in there. Spent as much time as I could with him. He stared out the windows a lot and I knew he wanted out there. I tried to carry him out a couple times but he would get scared and dig his claws in me and want to go back in.

Got a new vet that made house calls. Well worth the price to lower the stress on the poor guy. She said that he was probably not in real pain yet but gave us a script for kitty opioids. He was going down, too fast for me so we started managing his pain. Vet said to keep it going till he seemed out of it more often than not, then she would come over. All this time I still spent as much time with him as possible. Then it seemed to be time. ‘Seemed’ is the key word.

The next part did not go well and is the part that makes me cry and I think I will always remember this. We gave him his meds and an hour before she came we gave him some more to mellow him. When she walked into the bedroom, he perked up. He knew something was up. I held him while she gave him a shot to make him go to sleep before the killing shot. Soon as she jabbed him, he cried and jumped out of my arms and ran under the bed. His little bro heard him and ran under the bed too. I didn’t know what to do. The vet told me it was all right and to get down there and comfort him. I got part way under so I could reach him. His eyes were wide open and I knew he was afraid. He didn’t know what was happening to him and why wasn’t I helping him? I’m tearing up again. The vet got down and gently got him out and back onto the bed. His brother was meowing (crying). Tango was still moving around so she gave him another sleep shot. I kept my hands on him the whole time. Then came the worst part. A play by play from the vet. “His little heart is beating so fast. It’s the adrenaline”. “Now he’s ready for the last one”. “O.K. he’s a fighter because his heart should have stopped by now”. She gave him another shot. “Now it’s very faint”. “You can see his chest jerking a little and you might hear him gasping for air”. Please shut up I kept saying. “It’s all right he isn’t really feeling it”. “O.K. there’s no heartbeat. He’s gone now”. The whole time I’m sobbing like crazy and kept telling her it was taking too long. I covered his head in one of the tee shirts, paid her and she left. I got another tee shirt and used both to wrap him in. Then I wrapped a beach towel around him and carried him downstairs. He was still warm. I made a place for him the day before by the back patio where he could watch us. I placed him carefully in the grave and sprinkled a little catnip on his body. Covered him up and then it was over.

I can’t stop feeling guilty. He didn’t want to die yet. He wanted to stay for a couple more weeks but I misread all the cat pain signs. He would have gone downhill fast anyway but I would have given anything for just one more week with him. I might as well have just killed him myself and I never forgive myself for anything I’ve done in my life anyway. I miss and love my little boy. I’m an old geez and spent time in the war that was not a war. And I’m crying like a baby for a cat. Guess I feel better since I wrote this out? Yeahrightsure. Didn’t work. Maybe I’m confessing. Wishing so much that I will eventually stop thinking about it.

tl;dr I killed my cat.

Please forgive me Tango....RIP

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very sad but don't blame yourself. You loved him and did everything you thought was right and proper. Had you left him longer, he would have suffered more and you would have felt even more guilty for that. You did nothing wrong and Tango would agree I'm sure. I have felt similarly before when I've had to do the same thing so that 'just a few days more' feeling will be very common amongst those that have gone through this painful process. RIP Tango.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What helped me when I felt guilty about putting one of my kitties to sleep was helping save another kitties life in his honor. That led me to helping many other kitties and when you feel good about that, the guilt goes away. I am sorry about the loss of your dear little friend.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you had to endure such a horrible thing, it is never easy to have to "play God" and usually they pass peacefully not like this, but it sounds like he wouldn't have had much good time left even if you didn't have it done then, but it is so easy to second guess and blame ourselves, but you did nothing wrong, you gave him a great life and loved him, he loved you and he understands that you were only thinking of him and doing what you needed to do to ease his pain.

I am sorry that it had to end like this, the horrible memory probably will stay with you for awhile, but with time it will lose strength, I know also from horrible experiences. I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless you my friend..... :alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for what happened. I can feel your pain. It is never an easy decision but you did what you thought was best for Tango. Please forgive yourself.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry you are hurting.

Our family has had many cats over the years and it has always hurt alot when they go. There has never been a time when one has passed that it hasnt torn us apart. The hurt and pain and guilt is normal.

We can never know the exact moment that is best to stop their suffering. Cats are masters at hiding their pain. Its part of their survival instinct. Its not reasonable to blame yourself....but it is natural.

I remember a vet saying it's best to end things too soon rather than too late. Meaning its best they pass when they are still relatively pain free, rather than suffer endlessly because we cant bear to let them go.

What you did was a true act of love. You put Tango's interests ahead of your own. You must have known you would feel terrible pain and loss when he was gone, but you did not falter, you were strong when he needed you. The stress he may have felt briefly at the end was far less than the suffering he would have soon endured.

The days will get slowly better...I promise.

But you have other lovely babies to look after and they need you. Especially Tango's brother. Your work is not done yet....tend to their needs as they may feel a sense of loss and need comforting and reasurance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I. too, have witnessed many deaths over the years, both human and feline. It never gets easier, and there is never a moment when you know the time is right. Some, like your boy and my Burt, fight against the end. And no matter when it is done, whether helped along or allowed to go on to it's conclusion, it hurts so very much and never seems right. We promised Burt he would not be helped by a vet at the end, he was always so terrified of them and he was too sweet to do this to. He was seventeen and ready to go. But you know what? We have the exact same feelings and doubts as you. He struggled, he did not want to go, and we wished we had never made that promise. So I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter what way we choose, it will never be right, death will never change. When life is drawing to an end, when there is no chance of a cure, whether cancer or old age, there is absolutely no perfect way to be a part of it. Because we don't want it to be, we love them and don't want them to leave. We can prepare ourselves all we want and it still does not EVER compare to the actual event. The emotions and feelings that overwhelm us at this time are unlike any we will ever experience again, not in the exact same way anyway. Sometimes we we are actually relieved that the pain and suffering is over. There is no 'right' way, because there is no way at all, each is so unique and individual.
When the first crushing emotions pass, that is when our minds clear a little bit, and we start to rationalize what we have witnessed. It is NEVER what we wanted. There is a whole process we go through, and we do have to go through every step, sometimes over and over again, it is called grieving. I have been there so many times and it never changes. There is no way to get over it, or to skip any of the steps,. There is no 'plan' or instructions. We all just muddle through it the best we can and get on with our lives. But I have discovered a few things..... It helps when we can express how we feel to people who won't dismiss our feelings. That releases a little of the pain we are building up inside..... It helps to think of how we would want our little ones to go on if we were the first to go. They want the exact same for us..... There is a bond we form with these sweet innocents, and that can never be taken from us. Even though the physical body is here, the love is spiritual and therefore eternal.....We shared our life's journey with them, and that will go on, their new journey will forever follow ours until it crosses once more, they will always be near.....There is nothing that will ever change the past. You can't beat yourself up over imagined or real mistakes. Learn from them and change your future, there is no way to know which way is the perfect solution because that does not exist. ..... Celebrate having that sweet boy in your life, don't dwell on the end. He loves you so much, what you did you did out of love for him and he knows that. You gave him what he wanted the most in the world, a wonderful home and your love, it is all he ever wanted.
Time is the only thing that softens the sharp edges of grief, don't waste your own life by regretting something that will never be changed, that is what he wants for you, because that is what love is. It hurts, but it would have been far more tragic to never have known his sweet love at all. Take care, I'll pray for you all.......RIP precious Tango. You will never be forgotten and will forever hold a secure place in a loving heart. Good night, sleep tight, sweet boy!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tango, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

No, you did not kill your cat. That stinking, filthy cancer killed your cat. His reaction is because he was a little warrior, but (and this is important), even warriors need to reach a place of peace in the end, although they may fight against it.

Ellie's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I shed a tear reading your story and can relate to your pain. I had to make that dreadful decision 5 weeks ago and although it does get easier each day, there are many moments when I still cry. I too replay the final days, moments and think if only..... and maybe my baby girl Ellie could have held on a little longer. But I have to remind myself that at that time I did what was best in my heart. It would be selfish to keep her alive and suffering just so that I don't feel pain. I remember telling Ellie that it was okay to let go because she was a fighter too! She wanted to be by my side till the end but her pain was just too much even though I have second thoughts about how intense it actually was. Like everyone says here, cats are masters are hiding their pain, especially when they love their humans.

Please know that what you did for Tango was the most selfless act of love! You took Tango's pain and made it yours! I will pray for peace in your heart and mind. RIP sweet Tango <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What helped me when I felt guilty about putting one of my kitties to sleep was helping save another kitties life in his honor. That led me to helping many other kitties and when you feel good about that, the guilt goes away. I am sorry about the loss of your dear little friend.
Thank you. I've got 4 more and taking care of 4 stray's. Still hurts............

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is very sad but don't blame yourself. You loved him and did everything you thought was right and proper. Had you left him longer, he would have suffered more and you would have felt even more guilty for that. You did nothing wrong and Tango would agree I'm sure. I have felt similarly before when I've had to do the same thing so that 'just a few days more' feeling will be very common amongst those that have gone through this painful process. RIP Tango.
:-)

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your story about Tango brought tears to my eyes.

I had to make that same decision with one my cats a few months ago, and it was just awful. He was very old cat that I adopted from a crowded shelter. His backstory was devastating and he wasn't cared for correctly.

I wanted to give this old man peace and love in his last days. It's was hard because I only had him for 2 months when he passed. I still feel guilty to be honest, and I haven't completely come to terms with it. I'm still grieving. It's hard. The process of dying is not fun. It really makes me uncomfortable. I'm still trying to understand it better....

But Tango isn't in pain anymore. He's not suffering. He's at peace! He's not carrying around that tumor anymore or hiding. I personally do believe there's more to this life, and I believe animals are all special creatures. That love you have for them is real. And you are a great cat Guardian! You truly are.
I pray someday you're reunited with your dear kitties :lovecat2: Focus on the good times you had together, and know that you aren't alone. :grouphug2:

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Gotta be tough for him. :)

Bojim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise