My kitty ate a bat and I'm afraid she has rabies

katokato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is an 80% chance that my cat ate a bat, she is already in quarentine in our house and tomorrow we plan to take her to a vet so they can have her with more security. I read that if a cat gets rabies they just die :sigh:, my question is: can she have rabies from eating it or does it only happen if the bat bites her? And what is the probability that this bat had rabies?

I'm afraid she dies:bawling::cold:

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I will be praying for you all! Consider this: Newly discovered old research is telling us that viruses aren't contagious. Viruses can only be contracted if they're INJECTED. Check this out, as one example: The Germ Theory – DEBUNKED – Centre for Bio-Regulatory Medicine

There was a research experiment conducted in the late 1800s that involved a group of healthy men and women touching, drinking, and in various ways except by injection being exposed to the spewdom of a sick person. What's amazing is that none of the people exposed to the spewdom in the study ever became sick as a result. I don't have the article in front of me. If you'd like, I'll try to go dig it up for you.

What does this mean for you and your cat? I'm not certain. I'm not an expert. My prayer is that if she did eat the bat, it would do her no harm (and hopefully it didn't bite her). If the bat was rabid and did bite her, then I think the risk is high that she would contract rabies, because the rabies virus would be injected into her from the bat's teeth.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I am not a vet or medical expert, though I do have a little experience with people who have been bitten by rabid animals. Rabies is generally transmitted through saliva. I don't know the chances of whether the bat was rabid. You are doing the right thing by consulting a vet. While it's true that rabies is incurable, they will be able to provide you with with more specific answers to your questions. I know you are very worried. I wish you and your cat the best. Please keep us updated on her. I don't mean to sound scary. I think you'll feel a lot better after speaking with the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on when she ate the bat, I'm wondering if vaccinating might help. It has to happen fairly quickly, but I KNOW that humans who are bitten by a rabid animal and who get the shots in the prescribed time do not develop rabies. And, if she was vaccinated prior, she should be fine. That's what the vaccinations are for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katokato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on when she ate the bat, I'm wondering if vaccinating might help. It has to happen fairly quickly, but I KNOW that humans who are bitten by a rabid animal and who get the shots in the prescribed time do not develop rabies. And, if she was vaccinated prior, she should be fine. That's what the vaccinations are for.
Hi, I am not a vet or medical expert, though I do have a little experience with people who have been bitten by rabid animals. Rabies is generally transmitted through saliva. I don't know the chances of whether the bat was rabid. You are doing the right thing by consulting a vet. While it's true that rabies is incurable, they will be able to provide you with with more specific answers to your questions. I know you are very worried. I wish you and your cat the best. Please keep us updated on her. I don't mean to sound scary. I think you'll feel a lot better after speaking with the vet.
Wow, I will be praying for you all! Consider this: Newly discovered old research is telling us that viruses aren't contagious. Viruses can only be contracted if they're INJECTED. Check this out, as one example: The Germ Theory – DEBUNKED – Centre for Bio-Regulatory Medicine

There was a research experiment conducted in the late 1800s that involved a group of healthy men and women touching, drinking, and in various ways except by injection being exposed to the spewdom of a sick person. What's amazing is that none of the people exposed to the spewdom in the study ever became sick as a result. I don't have the article in front of me. If you'd like, I'll try to go dig it up for you.

What does this mean for you and your cat? I'm not certain. I'm not an expert. My prayer is that if she did eat the bat, it would do her no harm (and hopefully it didn't bite her). If the bat was rabid and did bite her, then I think the risk is high that she would contract rabies, because the rabies virus would be injected into her from the bat's teeth.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:17-18
Hello thank you for your useful answers ^^ we talked with a vet again and she told us there is a low chance she is rabid. She explained why: in the place i live bats usually are not rabid but are fruit bats and are too small to bite, she also said our cat probably has ate more but we didn't notice. And a few more things. She also said they use to or may show symptoms 2 days after (like a quieter behavior) but it's been three/four days and she acts as normal. She is still in quarentine, we made a cage for her and it's sad that she's alone but necessary, so now we plan to wait 8 days as the vet told us so we can see if she has symptoms and according to that we will vaccinate her. Thanks again ^^

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it's sad that she's alone but necessary,
Do you have the ability to have some cat music, or a radio tuned to a classical station, on for her now and then? Is she able to see and hear you as you go about the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katokato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have the ability to have some cat music, or a radio tuned to a classical station, on for her now and then? Is she able to see and hear you as you go about the house?
We would go into the room she was sometimes to check her and say hi, also to give her food. Then we sent her to a vet for a few days. She is all right now and with us.