My Kittens Won't Wake Up Not Sure If This Is An Actual Issue Or Not?

Alexis Weaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens about five weeks ago. They seem perfectly healthy. They play with each other, eat kitten food and all that stuff. But I have noticed that a couple of them do the strangest thing while they're sleeping. Usually, if I pick them up while they're sleeping, they automatically wake up and they're fine but sometimes when I pick them up they seem to stay asleep even if I move them around a little bit or try to pet them or anything really. Sometimes they even open their eyes slightly. Then about 30 to 60 seconds later they seem to snap out of it and they're awake. It's weird because I've had plenty of kittens but I've only seen these kittens do that. I don't know if this really an issue or if they just do this.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about kittens but I had a ferret do that exact same thing. Scared me to death because sometimes I actually thought he was dead because he was asleep so hard. I'm not sure if it's an issue or if they are just heavy sleepers. If I was to guess I would say if they are eating, playing and acting like normal healthy kittens otherwise then they may just be heavy sleepers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose them feels secure and comfortable with you. No need to be alarmist nor on high watch for them, why, YOU are there to guard and protect them. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, baby kittens (and ferrets) sleep deeply! Some scientists say it's a protection, because a predator might get into the nest, and if all the kittens are limp he might think they're all dead already and not bother to kill them. Or maybe it's just because their little undeveloped brains don't make quick adjustments. But anyway, yeah, it's a known phenomenon, nothing to worry about.