My Kitten Keeps Trying To Climb My Leg

Lana145

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
My kitten is very affectionate, although I don’t think he likes being pet very much. He does however purr a lot and like rub up against me with his face and body. This thing with him is that he tries to climb my legs and I try to tell him no or direct him elsewhere with a toy but he still does it at least once a day to someone in our house. He also like to lick/bite/scratch our feet sometimes. How do u stop this behavior?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens just don’t realize it hurts us when they dig those little nails into our legs as they climb. Why do they do it? Just coming up to see us. Best to stop them before they start by stomping your feet or making a little noise to startle them, or as you have been doing redirecting them with a toy. If they do find their way up, peel them off and just hold on to them for a minute, which they don’t like when they are in the middle of playing, and then set them down. Being held when you don’t want to be takes some of the fun out of climbing your human.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chuckled when I read your title. The good news is they grow out of this phase. Kittens go through a ninja kitten phase where they are lightweight enough to climb curtains or pants. They use their razor claws like rock climbers.

I just tell them no as I grab the little climber .... then hold them and pet them calmly for a few minutes. Then set them in my lap and ignore them abit. If they want to play then I use a toy.

:hangin:Hang in there. This will pass. In the meantime maybe clip your kitten's claws? Also take pictures of the cute chaos. They grow up so fast! By 4 months you loose the adorable (ninja) kitten and have a hyper small cat that starts getting more independent.

Last edited by a moderator: