My Kitten is still 5 months old and pregnant

Zizizi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone here had an experience of their kitten pregnant? Mine is 5 months old and I just found out she is pregnant. And iam so worry now :(
How's your experience about it? :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's way too young to have kittens. Her body is still growing itself so the pregnancy will be incredibly hard for her. It's basically a 10-12 year old human being pregnant.
  • Higher risk of complications giving birth including: her panicking and running around while giving birth injuring the kittens, her not being able to give birth needing an emergency c section due to small size, her rejecting the kittens once born.
  • The kittens themselves have a higher risk of: being stillborn, birth deformities, being small, dying in uterus. Because her body isn't ready for kittens; it will be trying to direct energy both to her growing and the kittens at the same time.
  • She could easily die herself while pregnant, during labor or after from complications since she isn't full grow.

I would strongly urge you to get her spayed and terminate the litter. It isn't safe or healthy to allow her to continue the pregnancy.

If you won't or can't, she need as much food as possible right now. Kitten formula or all stages foods only. Get KMR and offer a bowl of KNR several times a day for added nutrition. You'll also need to start saving money for vet bills incase she needs a c section. And get a kitten care kit together so you can take over care of the kittens if she is unable to care for them (KMR, syringe, bottles, wipes, towels, etc).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Kieka Kieka . Get her spayed ASAP. No five-month-old kitten should be pregnant. The risks are too great.

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other two, get her spayed asap. Too much risk to her health and mental well being. If she's early on it won't have any difference and even if its a bit later cats do not mourn kittens if their unborn kittens are aborted. In a few days she will just go back to being her normal self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zizizi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see. I actually have some read about this spaying things as well. It hurts me to imagine aborting her babies :(
But I'll do the best for both of them. I meant, I will go to the vet today (I've been with this vet for a long time so I trust her. She is very good) and see what she is going to say as well.

Anyway, thank you so much for your concerns and replies, I will give the updates after seeing the vet today. Wish my kitten luck 🥺🙏

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Early on, you are not terminating kittens, but rather unformed fetuses.

A proper vat will endorse a spay/termination unless your kitten is already too far along in the pregnancy. That would be after the halfway point.

Do you know when your kitten mated or how far along she is?

Zizizi Zizizi