My Kitten Is Peeing Outside His Box...

mokimo4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have a question about whether or not it is possible that my kitten is peeing outside of his litter box for attention? It has only occured twice, but my mom has an extreme problem with it so I need to find a solution so that this doesn't happen again. Both times he peed were in situations where I fed him at a later time than usual. He is VERY food motivated and is kind of addicted to one specific type of food(wellness kitten food). Could the problem be that he did it so that I would feed him? Any feed back will be so appreciated!
ps: he did just have a vet examination so I'm fairly sure that there is no health issue causing this...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your kitten? When you say outside, was it right next to or in another area entirely?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokimo4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is almost 4 months old and the first time was right in front of it while today he was on a different floor in my house

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your vet wasn't aware of the pee issue you may want to go back for a specific check of that.

He is old enough that he shouldn't be having issues with not realizing he has to go. It can happen still but less likely.

If you have a larger house it could be that he is having trouble getting to the litter box in time. Since you have multiple floors it would be wise to put a litter box per floor until he is older. Remember, he has little legs so if the litter box is on a different floor it could be simply too far to get to in time.

It could also be that something in the area of the litter box scares him. If it's near a window, something outside. If it's in a laundry room, the washer is running and loud. If it's in a bathroom, someone was in there at that moment.

I'd start by putting a litterbox per floor and make sure they are in spot accessible without scary sounds. If the problem continues I'd see the vet specifically for that. Normally I'd recommend starting at the vet but his age factors in making health issues less likely.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long since he has had a vet visit? Often peeing outside of the box is one of the first signs of a Urinary infection, or blockage. I would suggest a vet visit to check specifically for that. best of luck to him, and do keep us updated!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once a medical condition is ruled out, I always suggested the following 3 things for inappropriate elimination:

1.) Clean all accident spots with an enzymatic cleaner (my favorite is Anti-Icky Poo. I hate they named it that because it's hard to take seriously but it truly gets the job done. WAY better than Nature's Miracle or anything you'll find at a pet store)
2.) More open litterboxes (one for each cat +1 extra)
3.) Cat Attract Litter (not the Cat Attract that sprinkles on top of regular litter but the actual litter)

Many people don't follow the advice. No one really wants a litterbox in every room, especially an uncovered one. I know it's an eye sore but it's better than your house smelling like cat pee & the frustration that comes with that. I honestly swear by Cat Attract Litter.

Good luck!