My Kitten Is Lost?

aqueouscrem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother was never really fond of my cats for they had shed lots of fur (just as any cat does)... She told me owning them was just a temporary thing, and she kept reiterating that she wanted to let them go. Just this Tuesday she said it was final - she was going to let them go. We drove a few kilometers from our home and let the two cats go. My cat of four years kept meowing and trying to find a way in the car, so my mother let him stay. However, my kitten of 9 months was already crawling away, so she had no mercy.
My kitten is not neutered, has no microchip, and is not registered. I feel as if the stories of reunion give me false hope, as this is a lost cause.
I miss him very much, my little Snow. My siblings and I are very distraught. I have put out his litter, food, and favourite bed in hopes that the scent will give him a clue, but it is mating season here, and he was abandoned at a place he had never seen...
This has happened in the past before; our kittens were abandoned just the same but we saw them visit along the fence as grown felines.
I know, it was irresponsible to have adopted cats in the first place:(. I just wish I resisted more and kept persuading my mother to do otherwise, or at least surrender him to a shelter. I feel extremely guilty. I miss him so much.
What should I do? Do you think Snow will come back?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really don't know if your kitten will return. You do hear stories of it, but I'm not sure what type of obstacles there are where you live.

Unfortunately, if he does return you really should just take him to a shelter as chances are high that your mother would do the same thing again and there's a good chance something could happen to him. You could go to the area and try to find him and try to get him to the safety of the shelter.

I'm not sure how old you are, but please don't adopt any more cats until you are on your own and can commit to giving them a good home for their whole life. Otherwise it is just cruel to get them comfortable in a home and then to toss them outside in an area they don't know.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How irresponsible of your mother to put out a defenseless 9-month-old kitten in the middle of nowhere when there are shelters available.

I can understand why you feel guilty and heartbroken! I don't know how your mother could do this to you either since you loved the kitten.

Were there any houses nearby?

How far from your home was this?

How long ago did this occur?

Hopefully and with luck, someone will find this kitten and give it a proper home.

You should cherish the cat you have, keep a close eye on it, and do not adopt any more cats or kittens while you still live at home.

The fact your mother has done this before is also reprehensible. This is cruel behavior.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin, I am so sorry this happened to you and the kittens. I can only say I hope for the best for all of you.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry sweetie. :hugs:

Do you have any family members or maybe a friend with an older sibling who can drive and go look for the kitten? If they do go look and find him, maybe they will either take him in or at least bring him to a no kill shelter.

I hope everything works out.

My late husband's mom did the same thing to a dog he had many years ago. Your story reminds me of his. Whatever happens, please remember that this was not your fault. We are here if you need someone to talk to. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aqueouscrem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really don't know if your kitten will return. You do hear stories of it, but I'm not sure what type of obstacles there are where you live.

Unfortunately, if he does return you really should just take him to a shelter as chances are high that your mother would do the same thing again and there's a good chance something could happen to him. You could go to the area and try to find him and try to get him to the safety of the shelter.

I'm not sure how old you are, but please don't adopt any more cats until you are on your own and can commit to giving them a good home for their whole life. Otherwise it is just cruel to get them comfortable in a home and then to toss them outside in an area they don't know.
Thank you for your advice. I'll make sure to do so.

aqueouscrem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How irresponsible of your mother to put out a defenseless 9-month-old kitten in the middle of nowhere when there are shelters available.

I can understand why you feel guilty and heartbroken! I don't know how your mother could do this to you either since you loved the kitten.

Were there any houses nearby?
It was at some sort of farmland, maybe half a kilometer from houses.
How far from your home was this?
Maybe 3-4 km.
How long ago did this occur?
It happened on the 3rd of October.
Hopefully and with luck, someone will find this kitten and give it a proper home.

You should cherish the cat you have, keep a close eye on it, and do not adopt any more cats or kittens while you still live at home.
The fact your mother has done this before is also reprehensible. This is cruel behavior.
Thank you for your advice.

aqueouscrem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry sweetie. :hugs:

Do you have any family members or maybe a friend with an older sibling who can drive and go look for the kitten? If they do go look and find him, maybe they will either take him in or at least bring him to a no kill shelter.

I hope everything works out.

My late husband's mom did the same thing to a dog he had many years ago. Your story reminds me of his. Whatever happens, please remember that this was not your fault. We are here if you need someone to talk to. :grouphug:
That's sad to hear. Thank you so much for your words.