My Kitten Is Constantly Yowling In The Bathroom Next To His Litterbox

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I keep my kitten's litter box in the bathroom, and just yesterday I noticed that he was yowling loudly as if he was in pain while in 5th bathroom. He wasn't in the litter box, just standing some distance from it. When I came over to check up on him, he maintained eye contact for quite some time (Which is unusual for my kitten) and then walked out as if nothing had happened.
Then today he did the same thing twice, after the second time he just glared at me for some time and now he's curled up under a chair, not even wanting to be petted.
I don't understand, is the litterbox maybe not clean, or does he have some problems with digestion? I really need help

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really needs a vet visit, now. This is common behavior with a cat that has a blockage. This can turn deadly for a male cat, quick. Try to get him to the vet today, asap. Do keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He really needs a vet visit, now. This is common behavior with a cat that has a blockage. This can turn deadly for a male cat, quick. Try to get him to the vet today, asap. Do keep us updated!
Thanks alot! I didn't realise how urgent this was

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a blockage can turn deadly, especially for a male cat. Very urgent. Best of luck, and i hope thats not what it is. But with these symptoms i would get him in today. Let us know what you find out.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The behavior you are describing can be a sign of a UTI. Per my vet though a cat will usually pee outside the litter box as a warning for a UTI. A bad UTI can escalate to a blockage quickly. The meowing and not even trying to go to the bathroom is something my Sonny did when he had a blockage. Please get your baby to a vet now. This is not something I would wait on. I almost lost my 8 year old to a partial blockage that started to shut down his kidneys. He was hospitalized for 3 days and made a full recovery. Sonny's blockage developed in less than 24 hours and was caused by a bad UTI. I had no warning other than the yowling and change in litter box behavior that something was wrong. I do not want anyone to go through what I went through with Sonny. This was a scary but fixable experience. I had no experience dealing with a pee blockage before this. It is better to be overly cautious rather than wait at all when it comes to a male cat being blocked. My point is not to scare you but rather for others to learn from my scary experience. Please update as soon as you can. We are thinking of you and your baby.

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The behavior you are describing can be a sign of a UTI. Per my vet though a cat will usually pee outside the litter box as a warning for a UTI. A bad UTI can escalate to a blockage quickly. The meowing and not even trying to go to the bathroom is something my Sonny did when he had a blockage. Please get your baby to a vet now. This is not something I would wait on. I almost lost my 8 year old to a partial blockage that started to shut down his kidneys. He was hospitalized for 3 days and made a full recovery. Sonny's blockage developed in less than 24 hours and was caused by a bad UTI. I had no warning other than the yowling and change in litter box behavior that something was wrong. I do not want anyone to go through what I went through with Sonny. This was a scary but fixable experience. I had no experience dealing with a pee blockage before this. It is better to be overly cautious rather than wait at all when it comes to a male cat being blocked. My point is not to scare you but rather for others to learn from my scary experience. Please update as soon as you can. We are thinking of you and your baby.
I hope everything is ok with your kitten. Please give us an update when you can.
a blockage can turn deadly, especially for a male cat. Very urgent. Best of luck, and i hope thats not what it is. But with these symptoms i would get him in today. Let us know what you find out.
So I took him to my vet, who checked the kitten up and said that there was nothing wrong with him and to just give him time.
Later this day I heard the poor kitty crying out so loud I almost had a heart attack. I found him sitting in his box pooping blood. According to the vet it's either just constipation that will heal over time, or a deadly virus, but I've decided to take him to another vet. Really worried.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I took him to my vet, who checked the kitten up and said that there was nothing wrong with him and to just give him time.
Later this day I heard the poor kitty crying out so loud I almost had a heart attack. I found him sitting in his box pooping blood. According to the vet it's either just constipation that will heal over time, or a deadly virus, but I've decided to take him to another vet. Really worried.
Yes, i would take him to a different vet. Even if it is just constipation, which i hope it is, the vet can and should help you and the cat with that. Not just give him time! :( There are foods and or medications that will help. And what kind of virus is he talking about????

If it turns out to be constipation there are many on here that deal with that and their cats, i am sure they can make suggestions as well. I know wet food helps a lot, as does pumpkin.

Do have a second vet check him out, and please do keep us updated. I will worry about him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, your poor baby. :alright: Yes, definitely take him to another vet. :hugs:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you and your baby are going through this. Please get a 2nd opinion from a different vet quickly. Cats can get poop blockages too. It is not normal for cat poop to be bloody like that.

Catster17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for replying so late, I got caught up and completely forgot!

Thank you all so much for all the concern and advice, I seriously appreciate it alot! After my mom decided to be patient and wait like the vet had said, I was really worried. But, like magic, the next day he was perfectly fine and purring happily. I don't really know what happened, but I'm glad he's okay, now!

Thanks again! <3