My Kitten Got Milk In Her Lungs?!

Masooma kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I have a question concerning my kitty who is is 5 days old and she is really active whenever she’s hungry she wakes up and meows. She has been drinking really well these past days and she is pooping and peeing normally too. But today when I was feeding her, milk came out of her nose. I cleaned it immediately and she sneezed 2 to 3 times and I kept cleaning it. I am worried if she got milk in her lungs?!? One of her siblings already died because of that and I don’t want To loose her too. The vet clinic is closed right now so I can’t get her to the vet. But she isn’t distressed, she is still moving normally and when we touch her she responses. She is doing fine so far but I’m still worried. Can someone tell me if she is okay or not please?? Milk came out of her nose whileshe was sucking on the bottle, is that a bad sign? Does this mean she got milk in her lungs?? But she sneezed immediately and Iheard when milk goes into lungs kittens immediately become distressed. She is still okay though. We have fed her 2 times again already and nothing came out of her nose this time but I still want to ask if she is okay or not and if we should take her to the vet?
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masooma kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you hear any wheezing or gurgling in her lungs when you put your ear on her side?
No I don’t. She just drank milk again an hour ago and everything was fine.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like good news. The sneezing was excellent. Tipping them head down when that happens also helps. Keep up the good work! If she does get signs of respiratory problems, the vet may want to order a round of antibiotics. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masooma kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds like good news. The sneezing was excellent. Tipping them head down when that happens also helps. Keep up the good work! If she does get signs of respiratory problems, the vet may want to order a round of antibiotics. Please keep us posted.
OKAy! Thank you so much! Please just pray that she turns out fine! I will keep you all updated. Thanks again for replying so fast!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes.

Such is alarming but in practice often ends ok.

They seem to have an anti-drowning reflex in the throat often stopping wrong fluid come into lungs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She drank too fast. Make sure the hole in the nipple is not too large. She sounds like she is fine!