My kitten died

Rj9128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one of my kittens had died I'm positive that my kitten had been killed early nightfall last night it's eyes were open tongue was out and neck was more flexible than it should have been i need help understanding what did it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was it self inflicted? Could it have fastened by head in something?

Was anybody else nearby? Momma? A tom cat?

How old was the kitten? Are the other kittens OK?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry your kitten died. From what little you described, it sounds like the things that happen to a body when it dies, even in natural death - I know from personal experience. There are stages a body goes through depending on the length of time that has passed. We probably can't help you much, but more information - like StefanZ StefanZ has asked would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rj9128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there is one male cat around but the other kittens and him never had a problem before and he hasn't hurt them. the others of the litter passed before him but that was an infection that they had to be put down as that was all that they could do after i found them now im continuing to fight the fight for the newest litter of whom we can't find the mother don't know where she is

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, its even harder when it is a baby that dies. Rest in peace little one.

The only way you would come close to knowing the manner of his death is to have a vet take a look at him. There doesn't need to be a necrospy performed, most vet can tell by examining the body and getting more information from you.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry your kitten died :( Its hard not knowing the reason why the kitten died :( Could it have been an infection that the other kittens had or something genetic? Maybe the vet can help with having a look at the kitten. I'm so sorry, RIP little one :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF a tomcat kills a kitten, its usually by shaking it by the neck. Although friendly tomcats very seldom or never do so, especielly not if they are pal with the momma. But tomcats coming in from outside may do so. In likelihood with lejons, to congquer the momma...
Male neutered cats have seldom any reason to kill a kitten this way. Unless its a sheer accident.

I suppose if momma decides to make a mercy killing - say she notices there is some serious fault on the kitten - she may too use this method.
After this, she usually takes the body away from the nest and hides it. OR even eats it, so the nest wont be endangered by a sick or dead body.

Dogs may too shake to death holding by neck.

That is why its important to know whom was around, as soon you suspect an unnatural death... Animal or human.