My friends Scottish fold cat

whisperzs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Hope everyone is doing okay :”), I posted here a while back when my baby kitten was sick and received a lot of reassurance which I was really thankful for. My kitten is now three months old and healthy!
A friend of mine also has a Scottish fold and he thinks his foldie is over weight, after reading a few weight charts I didn’t find anything alarming.
he’s 2 years old and weighs 5.1kg
He looks chunky but my friend is worried about his health, he feeds him royal canin but I suggested transitioning him to something grain free. Any other suggestions? (He gets a little grumpy at night if he’s hungry and would wake my friend up for food) he also doesn’t like playing with toys but he does run around

here are some photos of him chilling and stretching, any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Scottish Folds are a larger cat breed, and are commonly quite stocky. That said, I’d be inclined to say that the cat looks quite overweight in the first photo, but that could, at least partially, be a combination of the saggy skin that a lot of cats have on their underbellies, and the really plush coat that many Scottish Folds have. With cats that have fairly plush fur, it can be hard to assess body condition visually. Through the fur, can you easily feel his ribs and spine? Does he have a defined waist? If not, he’s probably overweight. With Scottish Folds, managing weight is particularly important, as they’re already prone to joint issues due to the mutation causing their folded ears; if your friend has doubts, it may be a good idea to get a definitive opinion from a vet about his body condition.

In terms of diet, switching to a grain free dry food, and increasing the proportion of wet food he’s fed would, imo, be beneficial both for his health and any potential weight issues.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a scottie, too and she weighs less than 3 kgs. I always think she is not eating enough, but my vet said that a normal adult Scottie is around 4 kgs to not more than 6-7 kgs for male. Female should be on a lighter side (or not more than 4 kgs). Others here may have better knowledge.
5B46FD57-0DF8-4997-AECF-FC62CAD82A98.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
(He gets a little grumpy at night if he’s hungry and would wake my friend up for food) he also doesn’t like playing with toys but he does run around
I would suggest your friend feed him one of his major meals right before bedtime to avoid the nighttime "grumpies". This is really just a matter of training. One of my guys used to try to dig me out from under the covers in the early morning, I presume because he wanted to eat. I put a stop to that post haste (by basically ignoring him), but do give both my cats an "appetizer" when I first get up as incentive to behave during the night. Now they both let us sleep through the night because they know once I wake up, they will get a little something right off the bat.

I feed my guys meals around 8:30 a.m., 3 p.m. and 11p.m.. If I stay up a little later, then I give them 4 healthy treats (freeze dried meats) on my way to bed.