My friend and his son won "Amazing Race Canada!"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend and his son won "Amazing Race Canada!"

http://metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/797287/winnipeg-duo-win-amazing-race-canada/

The link below goes to their bios, and if you scroll down the video they submitted.

http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Teams/Tim-Hague-Sr-and-Tim-Hague-Jr.aspx

I don't watch shows like "The Amazing Race" because I don't much care for reality TV (other than Ice Road Truckers!), so I didn't know that he was in it until I read a story in our local paper about the winner and when I saw his name, I nearly fell out of my chair!

We worked together for years. He left the hospital before I did to go and do staff scheduling for a northern nursing company, and we had kept in touch for years via a nursing group on MSN. Since then we lost touch.

I'm so thrilled for him! I'm also sad to read that he was diagnosed with early onset parkinson's (age 45 years). But what an inspiration.

I'm sorry that I didn't know he was in it, I would have been sure to tune in.  I did however manage to catch this last episode in a late night rerun. I still don't like the show enough to watch it, but I'm glad I got to see them race to the finish line! 

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats to your friends!!!

I only watched one episode and that was on the Sunday re-run because I wanted to watch a bunch of city slickers wallow around in a truck full of lentils. Was after Hal and Joanne got booted and they were on the radio after talking about a bin of lentils......wasn't a bin, just a few grain trailers/

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's neat!  Congrats to both of them!

I don't watch much TV anymore.  We don't even have traditional cable.  I have an internet based service that is more "family friendly."  I can get an antenna to get local channels; but I haven't done that yet.  Right now CBS still carries my favorite shows online; so I watch those that way.  I don't usually have time to watch them when the air and no DVR; so that works anyway!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone posted in our local paper their guesstimate to the full value of their prize:

"In the USA winnings are taxable.

In Canada winnings are tax-free

The Cars are worth $50,000 each

One Executive First round trip flight to Paris is around $ 12,000 (flexible rate) or $6,000 (lowest rate)
Sydney is around $20,000 roundtrip

One year of travel could be worth about $200,000 (10 trips)

The value of the prizes 250K (cash) + 100K (cars) + 200K (trips) is around 550K tax free"

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What an amazing achievement for anyone, never mind father and son, and one of them being diagnosed with Parkinson's.  You must have kicked yourself when you realized you'd missed seeing someone you know on such an awesome show and then going on to win!   I just looked up the competition and it looks evil!