My first fondant cake!

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My younger son turned one 2 days ago and I decited to try to do a fondant cake.
Just wanted to show off the cake!

I´m very satisfied about the result, even the lion on top turned out ok.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a great looking cake!

I've never worked with fondant. Is it hard to work with? What does it taste like? Is it really sweet? Do you have to roll it out like pastry?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice going! My daughter and I used to make wedding cakes for a while till it just became too stressful.

We usually worked with buttercream and with some royal flowers and buttercream flowers as well.

Did you make the lion?? Looks really great. Did you use buttercream under the fondant? Did you buy the fondant that color or did you color it yourself? It's the perfect cake for a little boy. Great background too. It shows off the cake very well!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job!!!! I know of an excellent cake forum that I frequent (I just started my cake decorating biz) where you can pick up even more tips and tricks.
Let me know if you want to know and I'll send you a PM.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really turned out nice. I watch some shows that make all kinds of cakes and they use fondant quite often. It amazes me how they make those elaborate cakes people have ordered.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Five star for the cake. Nice job!
I noticed that if you look at the lion and remove the hair around the face, it will look like a bear!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!!!

Originally Posted by nurseangel

Wow! Great job!
Is fondant hard to work with? How did you make the lion on top of the cake?
I think fondant should not be very hard to work with. However I had quite some trouble with it, wich I like to think is just beginners thing.
I just shaped the lion like I was working with clay. (allthough I am very bad at molding anything out of clay, unless it's a bowl or a little ball LOL )

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Wow! What a great looking cake!

I've never worked with fondant. Is it hard to work with? What does it taste like? Is it really sweet? Do you have to roll it out like pastry?
The fondant is really really sweet, as it is allmost pure sugar! But combined to chocolate cake and whipped cream, it´s yummie!

Yes, you roll it out like pastry and then cut out the small things like gingerbread cookies.

Originally Posted by farleyv

Nice going! My daughter and I used to make wedding cakes for a while till it just became too stressful.

We usually worked with buttercream and with some royal flowers and buttercream flowers as well.

Did you make the lion?? Looks really great. Did you use buttercream under the fondant? Did you buy the fondant that color or did you color it yourself? It's the perfect cake for a little boy. Great background too. It shows off the cake very well!
Thank you very much! I do like the lion, and I was actually surprized that is look at all like a lion, as I really can't make things from clay (or fondant..)
I used a white fluffy icing under the fondant and between the layers of cakes (the lower cake are 2 cakes and the upper smaller cake are 3 cakes). The icing is made of whipped egg whites, syrop and sugar.
I colored the fondant myself, with Wilton foodcolor.

Originally Posted by emrldsky

Great job!!!! I know of an excellent cake forum that I frequent (I just started my cake decorating biz) where you can pick up even more tips and tricks.
Let me know if you want to know and I'll send you a PM.
YES PLEASE!!! I would love to take a look at that forum!

Originally Posted by LaRussa

That really turned out nice. I watch some shows that make all kinds of cakes and they use fondant quite often. It amazes me how they make those elaborate cakes people have ordered.
Yes, it's amazing how they can do those cakes. I have never seen them made on tv, (would love to, wich channel shows that kind of shows?), but I've seen some beautiful cakes online.

Originally Posted by MysteryCat

Five star for the cake. Nice job!
I noticed that if you look at the lion and remove the hair around the face, it will look like a bear!
LOL! Well...yes, as I say...I was amazed myself that if looked anything like a lion! I could maybe use the same figure if I would make a bear...or a cat or anything with 4 legs!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The lion is adorable and you did a great job with the rest of the cake.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Great job! How long did it take you? It would have taken me a week, and by the time I finished the cake would be stale!

You need to watch Cake Boss on HGTV!

Buddy should hire you! Do you live near Hoboken?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Wow! Great job! How long did it take you? It would have taken me a week, and by the time I finished the cake would be stale!

You need to watch Cake Boss on HGTV!

Buddy should hire you! Do you live near Hoboken?
This took my quite some hours!
I'm sure (well I hope) the next one won't take so long.

Oh, I would love to work with cake decorations!

I don't know where Hoboken is, but I know I don't live nearby, as I live in Iceland!