My feral: From Fraidy Cat to Needy Cat

drbruin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always wanted a cat, preferably a Ginger, but my house is not "cat friendly" for several reasons (other pets, exposed cables, new carpeting, etc.). At some point I plan to build a small addition to house one, but for now I've been reduced to watching Internet cat videos and learning everything I can about cats.

However, recently a cat has taken up residence in my backyard, a Ginger! I assume he's a male, small, maybe 6-12 months old and feral because whenever he saw me, he ran and hid under the house. He also seems to have a tipped ear. So I started feeding him (and water of course although I've never seen him drink any). He came close to me to eat as long as I sat quietly nearby. But now, a few weeks later he's become quite vocal, I assume when he wants to be fed. But now I realize he's also calling for attention. He comes right up to me and walks around in circles rubbing against my leg with his tail held high meowing and meowing and allows me to stroke him with a long handled brush. Then he will sit by my door "calling" for me to come out of the house when I leave. But he won't "play" as I've tried rolling a ball at him or waving a fake bird on a string around with no reaction to either. I tried some catnip with minimal effect.

I'm also not sure how much to feed him. He has eaten every last morsel of every meal, so I'm afraid to give him too much or too little. All I can do is keep him fed and safe (although I live in a very urban area there have been many coyote sightings in my neighborhood.) But obviously he's imprinted on me and seems to crave more attention than I can give him. That makes me feel guilty and a little sad.

So any suggestions on dealing with him would be appreciated.

IMG_5441.JPG IMG_5500.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

suba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Feral cats have a territory. Esp males. Your area is his. Feed like this: wet 5.5 oz can + tsp water added.Friskies but not the shreds is best choice. Many flavors!
Place about a half can in dish as often as he comes (but make sure he eats all to avoid ants and rats later) be sure you feed about same time too. Habits. Cats patrol their area. They will arrive when they know food will be there. Dont leave out kibble ever!
If he likes kibble, try to switch him to wet . This is much better esp for a stray. He needs best nutrition.
Credelio tablets can be wrapped into cream cheese( just enough for a little ball) and put in his dish every month once for parasite control which he needs. A safe hidden bed area with anything that suits your weather and is under a roof, is a great thing. It sounds like a friendly cat. You need to allow him his wildness so he copes and survives. If he shows signs of wanting to try indoors, thats a choice for then. Cats are wonderful friends! I have an orange stray myself,Henry.. Hes here twice a day like a clock. I talk to him and do what i said for you to also do. If he gets more like a pet, pls get him fixed . there are still a few spay/ neuter programs but you might have to research this. The more safety and comfort you offer, chances are he will respond with love. Please let me know how it goes. I care for 20+ cats daily,( and half belong to other folks. )

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Frankly, he looks older than 6-9 months. There is no way to know his history, he could have been abandoned, found and TNR'd, and then let loose. In those cases, most places will clip the ear. He is not feral. Hiding for a while will happen with any cat that has been left on their own for a while. Cats under those conditions are often not play-babies. They haven't been taught that aspect and are more interested in food/survival and attention.

Are you considering 'adopting' him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drbruin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the comments/advice.

I assumed he was feral because there is a feral colony very near here. I assumed he is young because he is quite small. But exactly a year ago, the people who lived behind me reported that their cat, who fit this description, was missing. They moved out recently. So maybe they never found him or just abandoned him.

I never have to worry about leaving uneaten food around because there never is any uneaten food. He consumes everything I give him in a few minutes. Looking into flea treatments, but no sign of infestation yet.

I can't adopt him because he seems to have already adopted me.