My dad forcefully pets and picks up my cats

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, recently my dad has been jealous of my cats being with me. He had never wanted cats but ive got two and im sharing all my love with them but now he Forcefully picks them up WHILE theyre asleep, they try to scape but he hold them harder and whenever i tell im to stop it he just insults me saying im annoying and I don't let him play with the cats but i personally DONT find that playing, it's annoying for them and it's disturbing their rest + ive heard that forced pets can turn into social issues in the future... He also claims my cats as his but he has never cared about them :/ I dunno what I could do to stop his behavior, my dad is a pretty hard person...
+ Sorry i didn't know what category this goes into

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry this is happening 😞

Is there anyone he would listen to who might be able to talk to him -- your vet maybe in the process of talking about something else so you wouldn't get more in trouble?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this is happening 😞

Is there anyone he would listen to who might be able to talk to him -- your vet maybe in the process of talking about something else so you wouldn't get more in trouble?
Sadly he never goes to the vet, its just my mom and I, ive already told him that most professionals dont recommend doing so but he says i just dont want him to interact with the cats but theyre either playing or sleeping, they're still babies (2-3 months) and theyre affectionate but not everyday! For example yesterday they came purring to me for pets and today they didn't want a single pet, just plays but he doesn't seem to understand that

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What I was thinking is if you talked to your vet, and asked the vet to call the house, for example regarding wellness checkups, and end up talking about how your dad handles them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I was thinking is if you talked to your vet, and asked the vet to call the house, for example regarding wellness checkups, and end up talking about how your dad handles them.
I could bring it up next time we go to the vet but im afraid it won't be anytime soon since they just ended some medicine treatment and i cant go all alone since im a minor but I'll try and ask next time i see the vet

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What if you showed him an article about how to play with your cat and let him choose a toy. Here is an Article about choosing the best toy for your cat: How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Or if he won't read it show him which toys the kittens like and tell him to use them when the cats are awake as opposed to when they're sleeping or eating. If you explain they would bond with him more this way maybe that will convince him. Good luck!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your dad is only going to make the cats really afraid of him. The cats are going to start fighting back and your dad will end up being badly scratched or bitten especially when the cats are older. Then he might mistreat them even more. I agree about finding someone to talk to him, and another thing you could do is get him a couple of books. I'm thinking about Kittens for Dummies or Cats for Dummies.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also sorry to hear this. DH has to put Elsie in a room and shut the door whenever we go outside (she has few teeth, got out once, was missing three weeks and almost starved to death). Even though DH is not hurting her, she favors me. I am not the Bad Guy in her eyes.