My cats water broke about 5 hours ago, should I be worrying?

brospaan17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats water broke about 5 hours ago, and still nothing has happened. Should I be worrying? I’ve been up with her almost all night. :(

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she had any muscle contractions yet? If you are concerned, you can never go wrong contacting a reliable vet for advice. An article I have found helpful in the past, which outlines the stages of labour in cats, is this: Pregnancy in Cats

Best of luck, hope everything goes smooth! Please update, we do care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brospaan17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is currently bleeding quite a bit, so I think she was only in her first stage of labour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brospaan17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update
She didn’t bleed anymore, no contractions started though, so I think she’s taking her time with this

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update
She didn’t bleed anymore, no contractions started though, so I think she’s taking her time with this
How is this going now?

Water gone IS potentially alarming, but we had forumists where everything went OK anyway, although one sack did burst much too early...

DO you have access to a good vet?

Anyway, if its not clear as yet, and you cant contact a good vet, be sure you give her lotsa of calcium. Any calcium rich food she fancies; goats milk, youghurt, cheese, kmr. the quickest and storngest of home made remedy is probably egg shells, crushed into a fine powder... its almost pure calcium, so let her lick of it...
If she is weakish, try to smear white caro syrup or honey on her gum, under the lip. Gives energhy.