My cats stool is very dark grey, but not tarry. should I be worried?

loza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is probably 53 days pregnant. I haven't taken her to a vet yet because there aren't many where I live and there aren't any U/S available for cats. Her main diet is soft food and she has been eating a lot of fish lately. Her stool sometimes isn't very well formed. Recently, her stool has been getting darker, I don't see any blood in it though. I don't think it's tarry or sticky. It's just very dark grey. She is not vomiting other than her normal occasional hair balls. She hasn't been very active lately, but I think its due to her pregnancy. Should I be worried? Or could it be due to her increased intake of fish and normal? How do I know if it's due to gastrointestinal bleeding/melena or not? Thanks

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was from intestinal bleeding her poop would not only very dark (tarry), it would be accompanied with a very foul smell. I read alot about cat health issues because I worry about my cats. I remember reading that gray poop could have something to do with the liver issues or it is from a bacteria infection. I believe Colitis was mentioned as well. I was told by my vet when I was worry over my cat's bms, that any poop that is very dark, pale, green or gray warrants a trip to the vet to be checked out. Please contact your vet and bring in your cats stool sample to be examined. She also needs to be checked to see how her pregnancy is going. It is best to see the vet asap, so you have a better idea what is going on with your cat. Best if luck to you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the cat poop chart (yes, one exists :lol:(: The Scoop on Poop

It says gray poop indicates a digestion problem. I'd at least contact a vet and see what he / she says.

Try to limit the fish in the diet. It's not good for cats to have all the time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that she may be eating too much fish. Switch to boiled chicken and also give her the broth with a sprinkle of salt, and a bit of white rice. Also, see that she has dry food and water available 24/7 for snacking.

She needs extra calcium now with the kittens coming so offer her scrambled eggs, cheese, and full fat plain yogurt. Also pick up or order a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula and give her a dish a day. It’s good to have on hand in case you need to supplement the kittens.

Last edited: