My Cats Possibly Saved My Life And House Last Night!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I fell asleep last night while watching a movie. I was awakened at 4:00 AM by both cats jumping on to my bed and landing near my head. The TV remote was right by my face and both cats were standing side by side, staring at it with wide eyes. Their little noses were switching like crazy, like they could smell something too. At this moment, I heard a very slight hissing sound and wondered where it was coming from. I picked up the remote, which doesn't have a cover on the back, and my fingers made contact with the batteries. One of them was extremely hot and burned my finger. The plastic part on the outside of the battery was melted, and I realized the faint noise I heard was from the battery. Needless to say, that battery has been safely removed. I'm fortunate that the battery did not explode (not sure if that actually happens) or start a fire in the bed. I guess the cats are too!

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow that's crazy! Cats are definitely life savers in many ways :) give them extra love today. So did the battery settle down as soon as it was removed from the remote?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OMGoodness! Those furkids deserve extra special treats every day for the rest of their lives! I'm glad you're OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow that's crazy! Cats are definitely life savers in many ways :) give them extra love today. So did the battery settle down as soon as it was removed from the remote?
It did settle down, but I'm not sure if it did right away because I wasn't in the room. I had put it in the bathroom sink and quickly exited the room, afraid that it would explode in my face or something! Lol! When I checked about an hour and a half later, the battery was cool to the touch, but there was a little bit of goopy stuff on it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
How scary! I'm glad the kitties let you know what was going on.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fantastic story re the kitties, I see a catnip feast in their future, lol.

That is very worrisome! Which brand battery? I would definitely advise the manufacturer!

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. They really saved the day.

I'd definitely be contacting the battery manufacturer though. Who knows how many more faulty batteries are out their from that lot.

Another thing to think about is smoke detectors. Their are two types, the one that detects flame and smoke and the one that detects smolder. Make sure you have both and that their all working. (This message has been brought to you by my dad's lecture to me a few days ago.. lol)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness that's scary! Thank God for their little ears!! I always fall asleep on the couch with the remotes next to me but when I wake up I put them on the tv stand or the little table my kids sit at. That doesn't feel so silly after reading this!

When I was a kid my mom fell asleep making a pot of chicken soup. Our cat woke her up when the house was filling with smoke from the burning chicken. There are so many stories of pets alerting their owners of things. We should never underestimate them!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you can order a new remote over the internet, Just look up your television model and take it from there.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, you can order a new remote over the internet, Just look up your television model and take it from there.:)
Yep, but I don't think the remote was the problem. I put new batteries in it, and it works just fine now. The batteries have not gotten hot either. I keep checking to be sure.
Now I'm really paranoid about it!

Fantastic story re the kitties, I see a catnip feast in their future, lol.

I bought them some new toys when I was picking up their food at Petco. They have catnip inside, if that counts.

That is very worrisome! Which brand battery? I would definitely advise the manufacturer!
It was a Northern Tool AAA battery. I have had a problem in the past with these batteries not working, but never anything like this! I also had an Energizer battery in the remote which did not heat up. I put Energizer batteries in the remote after the incident, and there have been no problems.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well then, I guess the moral of this story is to stick with name brand batteries, such as Energizer!! So glad this ended well. :)