My cats might give birth soon

Asherah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There’s this yellow substance coming out her vaginal area and I was told it was a mucus plug not quite sure. I was also told that she could give birth soon and I’m not sure on what necessary for her best care and the kittens and I would deeply appreciate advice on the matter.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could still be up to a week. For now, just give her a quiet place to have her kittens, (which she most likely won't use, but you can try), make sure she is well hydrated by offering several bowls of water sitting around, and make sure she has extra calcium so she can nurse the kittens well. This can be done by offering goat's milk or Kitten Replacement Milk (KMR), which you should have around anyway with a kitten nursing bottle just in case. She will also need lots of extra food and nutrition while nursing, feeding her kitten food would really help. She will look suddenly smaller right before birth, which means the kittens have dropped and lined up in the birth canal. Labor will usually look like ripples running down her sides. Active labor should take no longer than an hour between kittens, as long as she is calm, not crying out in distress or pacing all the time, she should be fine. She may want you near, watch, and make sure she is not too tired to clean the kittens and get them going. Some cats get exhausted, Use a warm wet washcloth and rub the kittens, moving them around, making sure there are no membranes covering their face or nose. Almost all cats do fine with giving birth, ferals and strays do it all the time with no help at all. Just take your cues from her, calm and taking care of the kittens, all is fine, crying out nonstop and agitated, she needs a vet. I pray you do fine and all is well! PS make sure you get her spayed when the kittens are eating on their own, keep her strictly inside until then. If you don't she will have three litters a year and you will have more kittens than you will know what to do with. Believe me, I have been there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asherah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could still be up to a week. For now, just give her a quiet place to have her kittens, (which she most likely won't use, but you can try), make sure she is well hydrated by offering several bowls of water sitting around, and make sure she has extra calcium so she can nurse the kittens well. This can be done by offering goat's milk or Kitten Replacement Milk (KMR), which you should have around anyway with a kitten nursing bottle just in case. She will also need lots of extra food and nutrition while nursing, feeding her kitten food would really help. She will look suddenly smaller right before birth, which means the kittens have dropped and lined up in the birth canal. Labor will usually look like ripples running down her sides. Active labor should take no longer than an hour between kittens, as long as she is calm, not crying out in distress or pacing all the time, she should be fine. She may want you near, watch, and make sure she is not too tired to clean the kittens and get them going. Some cats get exhausted, Use a warm wet washcloth and rub the kittens, moving them around, making sure there are no membranes covering their face or nose. Almost all cats do fine with giving birth, ferals and strays do it all the time with no help at all. Just take your cues from her, calm and taking care of the kittens, all is fine, crying out nonstop and agitated, she needs a vet. I pray you do fine and all is well! PS make sure you get her spayed when the kittens are eating on their own, keep her strictly inside until then. If you don't she will have three litters a year and you will have more kittens than you will know what to do with. Believe me, I have been there!
She’s a runt half the size of her siblings so I’m a little worried about her

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is she, huge or just big? Hopefully she'll just have a few small kittens. My little female is tiny too, just six lbs., and she got huge and had 3 kittens all by herself, she was stray then.
Just watch your little girl, do you have a vet you can get her to if you need to?