My Cats Love To Scrape Their Tongues

Reem Mansour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 year old Persian and Himalayan and they both love to scrape their tongues against any rough or sharp edges like paper, books, boxes, etc. They also sometimes chew on them, but they mostly seem to enjoy scraping.

Has anyone noticed such behaviour before with their cat(s)? They seem very happy while doing it so I’m letting them be, but if anyone has an explanation please do share.

Would also appreciate any leads to toys or whatever that could also help nurture the need to scrape.

Many thanks in advance.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, i have one boy who like to chew up card board boxes. I try to prevent him doing so as im afraid he will swallow it. I do know they make some chew stick for cats, but i have not tried them.

Just a thought but have they had a dental check lately? Just to make sure they dont do it because of dental problems?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.

I had a cat who licked plastic bags and photographs, obviously attracted by odors. I tried to keep pictures away from her. Whenever I saw her licking a bag I told her she is (now was) disgusting.

It is not dangerous to just lick paper products, including cardboard, but they need toys that are safe to chew on.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about the bathroom rugs? Cheese has started obsessively licking the rugs in my bathroom, but only when I am in there too. Cannot for the life of me figure out why. They must be extra tasty. Maybe your cats just like the way paper tastes?

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that would lick carpet. If I have to guess, they like the texture. As long as it doesn't hurt them it doesn't sound like anything more than a kitty quirk.