My Cat Won’t Stop Meowing

drewarnold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, so I have 2 roommates and one of them has a dog. That I don’t think is any reason my cat is acting this way. However my cat won’t stop meowing. I mean like nonstop. And he waits right at the door to go outside. Ive let him out a few times but he’s just constantly meowing at me and only me. Not the other roommates which is also weird. It’s annoying but I’m not disciplining him in any way but making noises and snapping my fingers when he’s gets accessive. I’m just curious as to what could be making him act like this. He’s a redpoint Siamese and was just seen by a vet.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I read all the way through wondering why he was doing this and then got to 'Siamese'. Problem solved. :lol:
Or, if the dog is new, he might be asking you to please remove it. :biggrin:

On a more serious note, if he's only just started, he may be unwell, and a vet visit could be in order.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah, the joy of being owned by a Siamese; you never have to wonder where they are because they will tell you. He does it to you because you are his person and whatever he is trying to tell you is just for you. My boy talks all the time too, although if I can figure out what is going on quickly I get just an eye roll for not taking care of it before he had to tell me. The talking really starts going if I am not listening to him or slow on the uptake.

If something in your home situation has changed recently, then he is telling you that he doesn't like the change and you need to fix it. It could be that he is just a talker. It could be he hears another cat nearby and wants to show you. My boy is known to talk to himself randomly and is very loud in everything he does. Luckily, over the years I've learned how to read him. There is a different tone and inflection to different types of meows so it is usually pretty easy to tell if it is a "human, you messed up" or a "its a lovely day, I'm going to look out the window now" or "feed me" or "play with me".

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. He might just be meowing, due to his breed, but you also need to rule out something medical.

How old is your cat? When was his last vet visit? When did his excessive meowing start? Is he eating, and using the litterbox ok?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drewarnold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read all the way through wondering why he was doing this and then got to 'Siamese'. Problem solved. :lol:
Or, if the dog is new, he might be asking you to please remove it. :biggrin:

On a more serious note, if he's only just started, he may be unwell, and a vet visit could be in order.
I
Hello and welcome to TCS. He might just be meowing, due to his breed, but you also need to rule out something medical.

How old is your cat? When was his last vet visit? When did his excessive meowing start? Is he eating, and using the litterbox ok?
He is 3 and was just a the vet 2 weeks ago as stated in the original paragraph.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drewarnold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, the joy of being owned by a Siamese; you never have to wonder where they are because they will tell you. He does it to you because you are his person and whatever he is trying to tell you is just for you. My boy talks all the time too, although if I can figure out what is going on quickly I get just an eye roll for not taking care of it before he had to tell me. The talking really starts going if I am not listening to him or slow on the uptake.

If something in your home situation has changed recently, then he is telling you that he doesn't like the change and you need to fix it. It could be that he is just a talker. It could be he hears another cat nearby and wants to show you. My boy is known to talk to himself randomly and is very loud in everything he does. Luckily, over the years I've learned how to read him. There is a different tone and inflection to different types of meows so it is usually pretty easy to tell if it is a "human, you messed up" or a "its a lovely day, I'm going to look out the window now" or "feed me" or "play with me".
He is the best animal ever. I can usually read him and get what he wants. Usually it’s food/fresh water, or play, or open the window so I can see out. But he waits by the back door when I’m downstairs and I want to break that habit so he doesn’t keep getting out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is 3 and was just a the vet 2 weeks ago as stated in the original paragraph.
Sorry, I wasn't quite sure if the vet visit was after the meowing started or not. If he is not unwell, I guess the other posters may be right, and he's just being a typical Siamese. :catlove:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is the best animal ever. I can usually read him and get what he wants. Usually it’s food/fresh water, or play, or open the window so I can see out. But he waits by the back door when I’m downstairs and I want to break that habit so he doesn’t keep getting out.
Usually, for something like that, ignoring completely for a few weeks will work. Link has an evening curfew and will yell at the backdoor to go back out. After a while we've learned to ignore him and ignore the door. He now only meows if we go near the door.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry D drewarnold .. I missed the 'just been seen by a vet' thing. In that case, I think you have a classic case of 'Siamese'. :)