My cat was diagnosed with Kidney Disease and Anemia, should I not feed her wet food that has eggs as an ingredient??

Rosetical

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am new here.

My cat currently does not like the renal cat food and has not been eating enough lately to the point she has become tired and not like herself. I have talked to my vet about this and went out early this morning to buy different types of wet foods that have a low enough phosphorus on a dry matter basis....they were really hard to find. She has had most of her teeth taken out and their were not many patte options.

These were what I got for her to try- ( I have spent countless hours doing research for her and even did more while standing in the cat food isle because I realized some of the phosphorus numbers were outdated and I hate to take them off my list )

1. Hill's Science Diet Adult Tender Tuna Dinner ( Phos: 0.52%) - I have not fed this to her yet -
2. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets NF Kidney Function Advanced Care Feline Formula - She has not tried this one yet, she has had Hill's and Royal Canine in the past -
3. Healthy Indulgence® Morsels Chicken & Chicken Liver ( phos: 0.55) - This is the one I fed her, however, I notice it has eggs as the 6th ingredient - - She really ate this up and she started purring very loudly after which I have unfortunately not heard for the past couple of days -
4. Moist & Tender soulistic chicken dinner ( phos:0.69%) - Have not tried this yet, this has the highest phosphorus on the list -
5. Tiki Cat Chicken broth - No phosphorus levels that I could find but it seems safe? -

I am asking this because on Tanya's website, http://felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm, it mentions eggs as a persuasion to get them to eat however it mentions "eating eggs reduced iron absorption by around 27%. This applies more to the yolk than to the white but be careful if your cat is anaemic. " I do not know if that only applies to eggs by itself or eggs in wet food as well.

When she was tested her hematocrit was sitting at a low-normal of 27% ( The normal range is 29 to 48%, cat's hematocrit inflates when they are dehydrated and deflates when hydrated ) ( correct me if I am wrong, it might be the opposite )
Her red blood cell count is at 5.8 which is also low-normal (normal range is 5.92 - 9.93 )
Her Hemoglobin sits at 8.5 which is also low (normal range is 9.3 - 15.9 )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosetical

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am new here.

My cat currently does not like the renal cat food and has not been eating enough lately to the point she has become tired and not like herself. I have talked to my vet about this and went out early this morning to buy different types of wet foods that have a low enough phosphorus on a dry matter basis....they were really hard to find. She has had most of her teeth taken out and their were not many patte options.

These were what I got for her to try- ( I have spent countless hours doing research for her and even did more while standing in the cat food isle because I realized some of the phosphorus numbers were outdated and I hate to take them off my list )

1. Hill's Science Diet Adult Tender Tuna Dinner ( Phos: 0.52%) - I have not fed this to her yet -
2. Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets NF Kidney Function Advanced Care Feline Formula - She has not tried this one yet, she has had Hill's and Royal Canine in the past -
3. Healthy Indulgence® Morsels Chicken & Chicken Liver ( phos: 0.55) - This is the one I fed her, however, I notice it has eggs as the 6th ingredient - - She really ate this up and she started purring very loudly after which I have unfortunately not heard for the past couple of days -
4. Moist & Tender soulistic chicken dinner ( phos:0.69%) - Have not tried this yet, this has the highest phosphorus on the list -
5. Tiki Cat Chicken broth - No phosphorus levels that I could find but it seems safe? -

I am asking this because on Tanya's website, http://felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm, it mentions eggs as a persuasion to get them to eat however it mentions "eating eggs reduced iron absorption by around 27%. This applies more to the yolk than to the white but be careful if your cat is anaemic. " I do not know if that only applies to eggs by itself or eggs in wet food as well.

When she was tested her hematocrit was sitting at a low-normal of 27% ( The normal range is 29 to 48%, cat's hematocrit inflates when they are dehydrated and deflates when hydrated ) ( correct me if I am wrong, it might be the opposite )
Her red blood cell count is at 5.8 which is also low-normal (normal range is 5.92 - 9.93 )
Her Hemoglobin sits at 8.5 which is also low (normal range is 9.3 - 15.9 )
I am so tired of worrying. I feel like I am driving myself up a wall. She has lost a pound since being diagnosed a month ago with kidney disease and she was diagnosed with anemia on Monday.
I just want her to eat, she is not eating anymore since earlier and I just want her to be back to her normal self. She has not left the bedroom for two days now. I am thinking of taking her back to work on Monday.

Rosetical

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so tired of worrying. I feel like I am driving myself up a wall. She has lost a pound since being diagnosed a month ago with kidney disease and she was diagnosed with anemia on Monday.
I just want her to eat, she is not eating anymore since earlier and I just want her to be back to her normal self. She has not left the bedroom for two days now. I am thinking of taking her back to work on Monday.
She last ate around noon and it was not nearly enough as I wish she had eaten.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing with eggs listed as the sixth ingredient, it's fine for her to eat it. And I'm also guessing that on Tanya's site they are talking about adding in eggs, not eggs that are included in manufactured cat food. I can't be 100% certain though. This is something you might ask your Vet via email or phone call.

Since they diagnosed her with Anemia, did they not prescribe anything to treat it? CKD can cause anemia and there are specific medications to help with that. Also, are you by chance giving her Pepcid A/C for those early morning throw-ups? If memory serves, Pepcid A/C can actually cause anemia as it can inhibit nutrient absorption. It's a catch 22 there :sigh:.

I've had three kidney cats and I would definitely say to feed her wet versus dry, and I think you've done a great job in finding foods low in phos. Our Vet told us to feed them anything they would eat, no matter the amount of phos, because it's just more important that they eat. I used to drive myself crazy too looking for the perfect foods. Never worked though because if they liked it one day, they didn't like it the next. So I just bought tons of different foods and served it up. One thing that worked well for us was to feed many small meals per day (and night). I guess a larger bowl of food was too intimidating, so I would feed maybe one tablespoon (including added water) at a time, every couple of hours, and an hour or so before bedtime I would put a couple of bowls of food in the freezer, then take them out and put them on my nightstand for middle of the night feedings, putting one bowl on an icepak and the other I let start to thaw. Within a couple hours it was room temp so ready to eat. My old girl would come to me and let me know she was ready for it and I barely had to move to hold it for her. Then I'd take the other bowl off the Icepak so it could start to thaw. Pretty easy.

I don't know what stage your girl is in, but with kidney disease it's a vicious cycle of good and bad days. Don't let the bad days get you down unless they are too many in a row. Then you need to discuss options like appetite stimulants, which we used and did as transdermal gels, and whatever else might make her more comfortable. Sub-q fluids do wonders too, when they get to that stage. I'll bet it's the anemia right now that's getting her down. Talk to the Vet about something for that if you aren't already treating it

Rosetical

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm guessing with eggs listed as the sixth ingredient, it's fine for her to eat it. And I'm also guessing that on Tanya's site they are talking about adding in eggs, not eggs that are included in manufactured cat food. I can't be 100% certain though. This is something you might ask your Vet via email or phone call.

Since they diagnosed her with Anemia, did they not prescribe anything to treat it? CKD can cause anemia and there are specific medications to help with that. Also, are you by chance giving her Pepcid A/C for those early morning throw-ups? If memory serves, Pepcid A/C can actually cause anemia as it can inhibit nutrient absorption. It's a catch 22 there :sigh:.

I've had three kidney cats and I would definitely say to feed her wet versus dry, and I think you've done a great job in finding foods low in phos. Our Vet told us to feed them anything they would eat, no matter the amount of phos, because it's just more important that they eat. I used to drive myself crazy too looking for the perfect foods. Never worked though because if they liked it one day, they didn't like it the next. So I just bought tons of different foods and served it up. One thing that worked well for us was to feed many small meals per day (and night). I guess a larger bowl of food was too intimidating, so I would feed maybe one tablespoon (including added water) at a time, every couple of hours, and an hour or so before bedtime I would put a couple of bowls of food in the freezer, then take them out and put them on my nightstand for middle of the night feedings, putting one bowl on an icepak and the other I let start to thaw. Within a couple hours it was room temp so ready to eat. My old girl would come to me and let me know she was ready for it and I barely had to move to hold it for her. Then I'd take the other bowl off the Icepak so it could start to thaw. Pretty easy.

I don't know what stage your girl is in, but with kidney disease it's a vicious cycle of good and bad days. Don't let the bad days get you down unless they are too many in a row. Then you need to discuss options like appetite stimulants, which we used and did as transdermal gels, and whatever else might make her more comfortable. Sub-q fluids do wonders too, when they get to that stage. I'll bet it's the anemia right now that's getting her down. Talk to the Vet about something for that if you aren't already treating it
Thank you so much for your response! My vet actually told me there was nothing to really treat it which really threw me off. I work there so they are the people I am going to go to for advice however it does not mean I can not be weary. I have been thinking that the anemia is what has been getting her down as well so I will be talking to my vet again about it, maybe they just don't know about the other solutions out there. I know B vitamins are a thing? Also, my kitty has only thrown up once in the morning but I am not treating her for anything. I would be surprised if she is not feeling nauseous. I tried another can of food that she ended up liking and she has eaten it twice now since this morning. ( The Soulistics ), I will take the freezer food into consideration!

I am really frustrated that my vet told me that anemia is not really treatable.

Rosetical

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If you know of any Anemia treatments that I can mention to my vet that are not on Felinecrf that would be awesome! I know blood transfusions are not an option right now since it is not bad.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the info on Tanya's site is the best you can find. I'm guessing you've already read it, but in case you haven't, here is the direct page it's on: http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

If nothing else, Vitamin B supplements would be a MUST. Possibly Iron as well, that just depends on what her iron values are, but you've got to be careful with that one as you can actually overdose iron. I agree though on blood transfusions. that is usually the last resort.